Monday, October 09, 2006

[anna politkovskaya] sorry but it simply isn't so

Ellee Seymour wrote yesterday about Anna’s killing. I prefaced my remarks by indicating that I felt it was terrible. However, as a journalist, does she want a blogger to tell it as it is or should I ride a wave of incorrect information? The Washington Times wrote not long ago: Slaying of Russian reporter jolts nation The slaying of investigative journalist Anna Politkovskaya sent shock waves across Russia yesterday and raised fresh doubts about press freedoms under President Vladimir Putin. Rubbish! I’ve lived here all day today, went to the uni, spoke with Russians all day in Russian and not one – not one – raised the issue. This is not correct what the western press is saying. And Putin's assurance to Bush was more a response to the west than to his own country who largely know it wasn't him.

2 comments:

  1. This isn't meant to be rude: What is the agenda of the western media in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've re-read my comment and I do not understand how you interpreted it as "taking you to task".

    I did not realise you were fluent in Russian, I have visited Moscow and Leningrad (as it was then) and taught myself the Cyrillac alphabet before I went, travelling around the metro alone and asking directions, it was great fun, I have Russian friends in Cambridge too.

    I cannot understand why the Russians you have met have no curiousity about this, does life become cheap in repressed countries like this? Had they heard of her? I have ordered her book Putin's Russia, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.