Thursday, December 18, 2008

[higham exposed] this blog and others discussed



A couple of years ago, my mate in Russia asked me two things, after looking through my blog:

1.

"Yes, very nice but where does the money come in?"

"Er ... it doesn't," I told him.


"Well, what's the point of wasting all that time?"

2.

"The annoying thing about your blog is that it only rarely has what I'm interested in."

I replied with the
Tom Paine line: "James' posts are so frequent, his interests so varied and his contacts so extensive that his blog is rather like the Scottish weather. If you don't like it now, just wait a few minutes."

"Well, that's your problem, you see. Someone like
that foul-mouthed friend of yours gets regular readers because he publishes the same type of thing all the time. You post on all different things and so your audience is fragmented and no one would know the other person."

"Yes but he's one of the top bloggers. He's established and he writes well on the type of thing people are thinking. I often post an outrageous point of view no one could agree with. Plus my targets are often sacred cows."


"Yes but take me, for example. I would only come to a blog which had something on ceramics or fitness. When was your last post on those?"


"Point taken but I still want to post on anything interesting."


"Interesting to you."

"Well maybe but I hope the majority would interest someone."

"Can't see how you're going to build up a readership that way. And how are you going to make money?"

I think he had a point. With the advent of RSS and with me posting so frequently, the only way to actually follow this blog here is to scan the headings in RSS and come in when you see something of interest. As for core readership, it's very small, particularly when ex-friends part company with you.

My friend here said much the same things today as the Russian did two years ago plus how the posts are too long. We were talking about how the uniques in the last two days were about double what I had four weeks ago, so something has obviously happened. At the same time, the number of comments has drastically decreased.

This puzzled him so he speculated how many uniques were image searches. Well, I could answer that. In every hundred visitors during the day, about 35 are image searches, about 45 are searches for an old post and a bit under 20 are other bloggers. Yet people who have been following the blog in their rounds are popping in from RSS land more and more.

Therefore, the conversion rate from visitors to comments is about 0.04% on revealed visitors. This puzzled him a lot and he asked why so few comment on my site. I don't have a clue. Maybe people don't want to get into an argument with me; maybe the material's just not interesting.

Another thing I pointed out is that many old blog friends will visit fellow bloggers and their Mybloglog avatar is in view. Then, when they come here, they turn off the avatar and comment as Anonymous. One is of particular interest- she comes in as Anon but then leaves her name. I'll have to ask her why some day.

We started to look at other blogs.

Well, with Iain Dale's, a lot of that is that it's the blog to go to, along with Guido and DK. Americans like Vox Day get enormous hits and comments as well but he gets some of that from WND. Jon Swift and Gates of Vienna are two others which spring to mind.

They all have their finger on the pulse and they do what they do consistently well. In Theo's case, I don't think it's all tit and bum - the people who go there like a rollicking sort of irreverent blog with a lot of common sense. We were talking about Tim Worstall but he's a bit different. To him, his blog is a business venture and the story has done the rounds how he built a house in Portugal on the proceeds, although I suspect a lot of that came from the articles he had in journals as well.

Then we get into the medium bloggers whom I've now slowly joined and what's happening to me now most likely happened to them - the offers started to trickle in, mainly from America.

The Anonymii seemed apoplectic, before ceremoniously breaking my sword in two and stomping off, that there is no debate on this blog. True - I think it's difficult with the "picture blog" lovers and the "start the revolution now" types both converging and not taking to the others' points of view. I had to laugh that almost no one seems to have looked at the Russian dancers youtube. I have, I can tell you.

Finally, to the newer bloggers, you probably don't need advice but for what it's worth - visit and link. They're the key rules, otherwise we end up muttering in the corner to ourselves.

14 comments:

  1. There are lots of points here.

    Firstly it depends why you blog. Do you want to get lots of readers or lots of comments or are you just blogging for you? Reflecting on this will help you get what you want out of your blog ;-)

    I have two blogs:

    My personal one which is the one you see was originally just an extension to my web page. It was for my friends so they could keep in touch with what I was up to and to for me to share random stuff with them. It lead to me meeting new friends too.

    My PCS one has less comments (thank goodness), less regular but overall more visits. The less regular visits are fueled by the most interesting links being emailed round! And by internet searches by certain parties which then get circulated... I know from what has been said that this blog is highly respected but it has few comments.

    The MyBlogLog and anonymous issue:
    That maybe to stop adding to the fire of certain Blogeshpere conflicts? (just a thought).

    Lastly I think some people just comment on the top bloggers to be part of the in crowd! Some of the top bloggers I wouldn't even give the time of day (I find them unpleasant) let alone link to them...

    So going back to the beginning, it depends on what you want your blog to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW: I forgot to add, your posts aren't too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Cherrypie on most of this. I don't admire Guido or Dale- I mean the Sun is the biggest selling paper in the Uk, it doesn't make it hte best. Also it depends what you want to do- my own blog is partly just so that I can bash ideas down. Writing things down forces me to engage with much more than I would otherwise- it also forces me to think about hwat I consume. Fromthat perspective I don't care if nooen reads me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this, of course, has validity. Popularity is something I don't seek, otherwise I wouldn't have done what I've done and thought necessary. Having said that, I half hope telling the truth can be forgiven. If it's not, then, like Tiberius Gracchi, I'd prefer to blog alone [although that's not precisely what he was saying].

    ReplyDelete
  5. James,

    Blog about what you want, when you want, about whatever you want. It's yours, and nobody can take it from yo,.

    Contrary to your friend who thought blogging a waste of time because it wasn't an earner, does everything in life have to be a money making opportunity? For such people, does the process of capital accretion never stop? Are such people human beings or Terminators?

    I have been writing Internet commentary for over six years - in that time I have written at least three million words, probably been the Scottish commentator most widely read in the United States, undertaken both ideological and spiritual journeys, and have been quoted in two books (that I know of). My total career earnings from writing amount to less than £250. There are some who would no doubt consider this an enormous waste of effort. I don't, because my blogs are the one thing that nobody can take away from me - yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James,

    I think your blog is the definitive example of the best the sphere has to offer.
    I would suspect that you don't garner the level of comments that you should because your posts are so well researched, and given it's informative nature, most people probably feel they have nothing to add. So,in the same vein as news commentaries, they read your blog.

    My favourite posts of yours are the longer ones. Yours is the only blog I will invest that level of time to read [and usually follow all your links as well] because I know how well written and researched it is going to be.

    I would not let the cowards comment anonymously. If someone can't stand behind their words in an open and identifiable way,they probably shouldn't be speaking/writing.

    Departed friends are no friends and best departed, I say. The rest , regardless of size,are very loyal readers who speak more about your blog success. Their loyalty is not based on superficial tenuous friendships.

    I think one can enjoy someone's blog without necessarily liking the author personally. Even if I did not like you, I would still love your work and still read regularly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Err, no, I didn't build a house in Portugal off the earnings from the blog, no.
    I am paying the mortgage on a house in Portugal, and living (food, booze etc)off the earnings from having blogged, that would be true. But as you suggest, that's much more about the paid freelance work I've picked up for newspapers and magazines as a result of having advertised my ideas, writing etc, on my blog.

    As I always say, it's very difficult to makemoney from blogging....much easier to make money from having blogged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I'd left a comment here but it must have died en route.

    Never mind, suffice it to say that my five blogs do not generate five visits per day between them and were I bothered about numbers I would have given up within weeks of starting the first, almost three years ago. I write rubbish because at present my state of mind and perilous economic circumstances prevent me from writing anything more considered. I think of what I do as little more than doodling as a way of relieving the frustrations of not being able to write or draw. I blog because I enjoy it; if others do too I'm delighted but if not I'm not bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. not all anon comments are from coward Uber........I use the anon identety because I don't have a blog or ID or URL, but I enjoy reading blogs and make the ocassional comment. Is this ok?


    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the spelling on the previous comment- my keyboard was having issues (I don't think it likes mornings!)

    But James having thought a bit more about this and returned to the debate- I suppose there is also another idea in play here. I don't know if you've come across the long tail- but its the idea that on the internet you find that all sorts of minority interests can gather- all those interested in Aztec architecture find each other. I think one of the interesting things about blogging is that that does happen- its something I notice a lot- you find a community and that has to have a value- even if it is not a monetary one.

    In a sense those little communities- little platoons I think Burke called them- are the essense of civilisation itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gracchi - That is an interesting point. Now I think about it, that does seem to happen.

    I know I have connected up with quite a few people this way. It might be an interest or an idea or a way of thinking. But yes like minded people do seem to gravitate together.

    I could even give examples of how this plays out mostly from my TU involvement, but another instance was when I was more active on Flickr.

    Now I need to ponder on that thought to see if I can move it forward...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ubermouth - thank you.

    ScotstoryB - the one's in the video :)

    Tim - welcome. I stand corrected and thanks for putting that straight.

    William - that's pure blogging you're talking about there.

    Anon - :)

    Tiberius - minority groups, yes.

    Cherie - right.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.