Sunday, September 02, 2007

[the car] if china can, why can't we?

I also forgot to mention that I love the Chinese Government website, which always tells the truth. So when I caught a headline: China Exports Inflation?, I clicked in and was astounded by the answer: No it doesn't.

But here's a good one:

After four days' traffic ban in Beijing to test the effect on air quality for the Olympic Games, the question whether such a traffic ban should become regular has triggered a debate between private car owners and those without cars.

Among 2,968 respondents, 78.2 percent of those without a private car call for a permanent traffic ban, while 61.9 percent of private car owners object to it, according to an online survey jointly launched by China Youth Daily and Internet portal sina.com.

Rather than dwelling on these rather pointless stats, the mind idly wandered to London and the M25, to the Boston spaghetti road complex and to other icons of the motorcar. Steppenwolf springs to mind.

Hey, why don't we completely and utterly ban any cars within and including the M25? Forever. I wonder what would happen?

5 comments:

  1. Says Harry Haller: "We are an ideal couple, are Bloom and I; he brightens the earth, I polish the sky." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unbelieveable the traffic one sees now and the pollution it causes makes one question if this is progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't we just ban all cars period? I'll buy a horse and take a day trip to visit my parents... they live 50 miles from my house, so instead of 45-50 minutes to get there, I'd take the day there and a day back...

    Sure, that's the ticket :)

    uber: why in the world would you question if it is progress? Look at the other side of the coin, take all the 'pollution'-making things out and ask if it would be digressing? That should answer it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't go backwards I'm afraid. You need a great public transport system first of all and that just isn't it place. We all know it's a problem but we don't truly want to be part of the solution.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.