Wednesday, May 02, 2007

[misconceptions] in praise of the older woman

On the day of the debate between Segie and Sarko, the concept of womanhood arises. As with us men, there are good and not so good. There are some real misconceptions as well.

I'd like to look at certain women and some of the misconceptions which surround them. I base this on experiences
over the years, filtered through comments of others .

Misconception 1 Haughtiness is a good stance for a woman to take. There is definitely something in the female which wishes to lord it over all and sundry - from Lady Bracknell to the woman in the photo top left.

It's as if she's saying: "Look how expensive I am. Can you afford me? Don't you desire me?"

Well, no, actually. Not in the least. Good looking woman, to be sure but that haughty disdain for those around is not exactly seductive. I refer here to a type, not to Segolene.

Misconception 2 Young is always more desirable. Why? What has a 20 year old got which a 40 year old hasn't? Brittle psyche, inward looking acquisitiveness, the rawness of a life barely begun and less sense of proportion.

What has a 40 year old got which a 20 year old hasn't? Experienced, fuller loving, self-knowledge, sense of proportion, ability to paper up the cracks, more giving approach - "you get out of it what you put into it".

Misconception 3 Women have a "buy by" date. Once the first marriageable rush is over, the woman gets a second wind in the mid-thirties and is, in my humble opinion, at her sexiest and most powerful. Those who look after themselves like a Segie, I mean.

Then, in the late 30s/early 40s a certain resignation in dealing with life sets in and produces a more rounded person - often grown children occupy much of the time, husband and sometimes career occupy the rest.

In the 50s, it was Agatha Christie who commented that there was more felicity that side of the divide than she thought possible. There's nothing to prove and a certain good-naturedness comes into it which makes it so much easier to live with her plus her skills are at their most developed.

Misconception 4 Expensive = desirable. Well, actually, the opposite is true. The more she's going to cost, the less he wants and the more the eyes stray to someone a little younger, fresher and less demanding. One day she finds herself searching, alone, for the riches she's extolled for so long.

The trick is to look fabulous with what you have at hand - that's where the skill is.

Misconception 5 Nagging doesn't matter. There is a feeling amongst women that "nagging" doesn't really exist - it's just a male misunderstanding of her desire to improve him. Those shopping lists of his faults she likes to painstakingly go over, point by point, they cut no ice with any male.

If she continues it, the relationship ends. Within limits he should and can improve but after that it's flogging a dead horse and is so unfair. It's a one-way ticket to solitude.

Misconception 6 Large age differences work. I swear they don't. Physically, I'm told I act more like someone in the late 30s/early 40s but it's rubbish. There's a definite slowing of the metabolism and it's only really noticeable when up against a 22 year old girl.

The 22 year old sharpness, the alertness, the sudden and sustainable movement, the desire for action, the raw energy, the capacity for late nights, the concerns - these don't gel with the late 40 year old for whom his experience necessarily modifies his pace and his gait. There's only so long the mentor thing can be kept up for.

Misconception 7 Alone is infinitely preferable. Even if you think so, you are making changes, irreversible changes which you're too close to the action to see for yourself, beyond vague awareness. Self-sufficiency and resilience set in, a pet becomes easier to deal with than a cantankerous man, you get into the habit of aloneness.

You're not only more self-centred, you're also a little more selfish and intolerant. Something is missing but you don't recognize it. You have a great life, everyone respects, converses and enjoys your company, there are no disputes - surely it's better?

No it's not. You've lost the power to be at one with another human being. And somewhere inside is that very real need but it's been suppressed. In the end it's well nigh irreversible.

Misconception 8 It becomes too late in the end. Not always. My mother remarried late, as did my stepfather. They had issues. They were experienced enough to deal with them. Not perfectly but the respective families could see it was infinitely preferable to solitude, though they were both hard-pressed at times.

Not only does hope spring eternal [nice word - spring] but chances improve with age.

18 comments:

  1. James, this is rather sexist, I certainly don't conform to your visions of womanhood, and neither do most of my girlfriends. Oh dear, oh dear.

    I heard an interview on the radio today between to Sarko/Sego camp with the Sarkos accusing Sego of flaunting her femininity in the campaign - well good luck to her. Clinton can thrust his stuff about and he gets away with it. Despite our differing political colours, I think she is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellee, I'm sorry you're upset by my words but all we can do, I believe, is speak from experience and tell the truth.

    If telling the truth would not help then maybe it should be kept in check but if it needs to be said, it should be, I feel.

    The substance of this post does not refer to Segolene. Her debate today was just the starting point, the trigger for the post. Nor is there the least reference to you.

    Please accept my apologies for any hurt caused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fascinating take. I had a boyfriend who used to read my magaizine. "Know thy enemy," he said.

    As single 30-something, I have to say I disagree with point seven though ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It didn't strike me as sexist, personally... I understand what you're saying.

    Sometimes alone is better, though. Depends on what the alternative is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - okay - James, I am wondering about who on earth has influenced you to make these comments? Sexist - perhaps - but most definitely ill-informed and perhaps a tad blinkered?

    You have always struck me as a well-balanced and informed person - obviously though you have been watching too much of "Deadline" !!

    Hugs and I am sure we can broaden your horizons - between us all !!

    Shani

    (ps I am definitely not offended though - I have had a bit of a chuckle tonight).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention I support the blog silence - what an awful thing to have happened.

    hugs again
    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  7. James,

    this is quite fascinating.

    so far the ladies have responded and mostly with some favor.

    I see you speaking in generalities and not pointing a finger. I have to admit that I do observe these qualities in women today, not in all, but certainly not unusual.

    I too would not agree with point seven, because I do feel that we all need to have someone. It is a challenge though, commitment is a must for longevity in relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I must be clueless. I didn't really see anything to get too upset about. I just saw it as one male's musings about women.
    I've always been considered a feminist so I must either be slowing down or missing something obvious to others.
    Await the rebuttal at the end of the Day of Silence.
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  9. James,

    I went to Jesuit school.

    What are women?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I didn't get upset about it. I disagree with parts, though: "Look good with what you have to hand" - come on, we all need some help at un certain âge! Earlier in the post you reveal your admiration for women who "look after themselves": that takes money, you know! Can't agree about the late 30s /40s bit as a single woman has different life experiences to one who has married and / or had children. I think Agatha was right: I know I have things / qualities now which I didn't have as a 6 stone elf and I wouldn't want to go through all that again. Also there is great freedom after the menopause: for a start, you don't have to spend money on those thingies [which should be zero-rated for VAT, btw]. But it can be quite hurtful that women who have had children are allowed to have "Empty nest" depession whilst those of us who haven't are supposed to have no feelings about it. As for being alone, well, of course everyone wants that special someone but sometimes it just doesn't happen. It doesn't make you less of a person. I admit you can get set in your ways but your freedom can also mean you have more time to observe and understand others. I most certainly haven't given up hope of falling madly, desperately, foolishly in love again and the day I do is the day I die! I am in danger of going into full rant mood here, so will finish by just asking you to tell me, James, given what you have said, why 50-something men want 20-something women?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha Ha!
    Hi Welshcakes,

    I like your comment... and yes, being solo does have it's advantages too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in Australia, one of the senior Liberal Senators and one of John Howards main buddies, accused Julia Gillard, the deputy opposition leader of being unfit to lead because she had chosen not to have children or as he put it not me, she was barren. She had just not had a normal life experience. With this kind of neanderthal thinking amongst the male political elite, it takes a lot of guts for women to want to get up and stand for election. I suppose this may also apply to gays and other "weirdos" who have not experienced the Australian way of family life in his way of thinking. What was interesting was it was only when the Prime Minister told him to apologise that he did so reluctantly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved this post made me smile as most of it is ssoo true...BUT I dont agree with number 6 at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. been a hard day at work.... not sure i got it right first time.....

    I do think large age gaps can work is what i was trying to say.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welshcakes, since you're a beautiful blonde British woman, I have to imagine that you have the men in Sicily throwing themselves at you.

    But I suppose the problem would be filtering out the unsuitable ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comments were s-o-o-o-o-o good, people. I'm in awe.

    These are my comments on the comments from Mutterings to JMB, prepared before I went to work. I'll answer the others one by one this evening. Also, I'm running a new post on it soon because there've been developments today:

    mutterings and meanderings said: As single 30-something, I have to say I disagree with point seven though ..

    As have others, M&M.

    Ruthie said…It didn't strike me as sexist, personally... I understand what you're saying. Sometimes alone is better, though. Depends on what the alternative is.

    It was meant to be a post on "the older woman" but somehow one or two points have been seized on.

    MuseinMeltdown said…

    Yep - okay - James, I am wondering about who on earth has influenced you to make these comments? Sexist - perhaps - but most definitely ill-informed and perhaps a tad blinkered? I am definitely not offended though - I have had a bit of a chuckle tonight.

    Ill-informed, Shani? Which part was factually wrong? Thanks for the rest of the comment though.

    jack rensimer said…this is quite fascinating.so far the ladies have responded and mostly with some favor. I have to admit that I do observe these qualities in women today, not in all, but certainly not unusual. I too would not agree with point seven

    The men have been conspicuous by their absence in this debate so far, Jack, apart from your good self. I wonder why? Note your Point 7 comments as well.

    jmb said…I didn't really see anything to get too upset about. I just saw it as one male's musings about women.
    I've always been considered a feminist so I must either be slowing down or missing something obvious to others. Await the rebuttal at the end of the Day of Silence.

    Not so much a rebuttal, jmb, as a learning process. This is why I posted it - to see other sides of the question, to gauge the strength of feeling, as in the "immigration" debate.

    Thank you all for coming over and commenting. I sincerely hope no one leaves in anger and that the debate was worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Martin - that could be the subject of a university course.

    Welshcakes - great and comprehensive comment there.

    Jack - it seems to be the prevailing opinion.

    Colin - interesting politics downunder.

    Sally - that was just me reacting against my last experience.

    Ruthie - I imagine you have more than a little filtering issue yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.