Monday, August 04, 2008

[things] which define who you are


One of the primary differences between Welshcakes and myself, apart from the obvious gender disparity, is that she has virtually all the things she was ever given or ever collected and I don't.

I've suggested she should open a sort of gallery and charge admission but that horrified her for some reason. I found the above pic at the embedded link and hasten to add that this is not WCL's style at all - after all, we're living in the heart of baroque down here and her things are ... well ... ornate.

Mine are functional, compact and there are not many left with me - they tend to be strewn across the globe. Don't know about you but I was never sentimental about "things". There is a rabbit's foot letter opener and a little jewellery box with a friend in Russia plus a Toby jug in Australia. That's about all I'd absolutely have to set eyes on again.

Paintings, electronic gear including a home studio, cars, houses and so on - they're all so many memories now, memories I daren't dwell on.

My goodness how things seem to accumulate. I came down here with one case and a cabin bag and to be honest, a friend did fly down with a second small wheelie pack some time ago but now I'm at the packing stage, somehow it won't all go in the packs. How on earth did that happen?

So once again it's a case of posting things to myself or else donating them to the poor. My PC in Russia at least found a good home with a friend's girlfriend.

To tell you the truth, I'm tired of this Flying Dutchman stuff and just want to buy into a base where they're not going to throw me out of the country, where I can set up and start to earn again. Advancing years put a different perspective on what, for a younger man, would be a great adventure.

So "things" don't occupy pride of place in the bookshelves in my mind but the mindset is to be admired in those for whom they're quite important.

14 comments:

  1. "Things" make life difficult if you have to move. We left so much behind when we migrated to our island. More tends to accumulate fairly rapidly though!
    Good luck be with you, wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need a country, try Ireland. Only Scandinavia might be more humane.
    All the very best and I echo Sackerson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best James. Been there done that. When I moved to Singapore, I arrived with three suitcases and left with a shipping container, a new family and about ten bags of stuff.

    Now I have a house full of stuff, a shed full of stuff and all kinds of stuff around the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck James. I will be thinking of you and praying you are settled soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, you're one step ahead of me... I'm getting ready to return to the UK. Shipping little and selling a lot (probably). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just grows like Topsy, doesn't it? It really is amazing how little one really needs in life when it all boils down to it.
    I hope you find your new "base" very soon and settle into some stability. Best wishes as always James.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simi and I have enjoyed your companionship, James. Hopefully, you won't be that far away. Auguri xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some special things that I need to keep for sentimental value. Most other things when I am done with them I want to pass them on for someone else to get value out of!

    Mmm! I don't really have pride in any of my possessions, I reserve that feeling for my friends!

    I know things are going to work out best for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well good luck James, and age has nothing to do with it, it's an adventure at any time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm contemplating this very thing myself and know what you mean - someone has filled my house with 'stuff'! To keep, to give away, to hire a tanker.... good luck with your coming journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. most has already been said but good luck james hope you find your "home"soon x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont own much either... where are you off to then?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.