Friday, October 26, 2007

[blood, guts and offal] get yours now

Attention all Vikings:
The sale of raw material needed to make traditional slátur, blood and liver pudding, has decreased by 15 percent in one year at the meat production company Nordlenska. People seem to prefer buying ready-made versions of the delicacy.

Sheep heads, stomachs, fat, hearts, livers, kidneys and blood, are still popular. Liver was praised by a much-hyped Danish diet, so its sale has remained high. The slaughtering season ends at Nordlenska tomorrow; more than 80,000 sheep were slaughtered this year.
So rush out and buy up your offal, Sven, because winter is coming. Me? I'm off for a good long retch.

4 comments:

  1. I have never understood the meat eaters fear of offal; it reminds them of flesh, animal and blood perhaps? How is that different from a lamb chop or a fillet steak? Decent sausages are after all clad in intestines and isn't that better than eating plastics?
    I cannot get a butcher round here to collect the blood from my pigs as they are slaughtered in order to make black pudding. I think this is a sleight to the pig that was forced to die so I and friends can indulge in bacon, gammon, sausages and roast pork. At least we should use and enjoy every last scrap. And on a purely greedy note, much offal is delicious (although I don't care to try an eyeball, personally).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mopsa - you to yours, dearest. Personally, there is a huge difference between the meat from a flank and internal organs but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not for me, but my father did eat sheep's brains a couple of times, fried in olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell, all that stuff looks like what they use to make bologna and hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.