Sunday, September 02, 2007

[slaughter] from the paddock to the stomach

Don't worry - she's just for milking

In my direst moments, I always remember too late and then do two things - pray and visit Iceland. Iceland was one of my first posts ever and still it's a fascinating place. Take this, for example:

The Farmers Association of Iceland is considering reinterpreting EU regulations that would enable farmers to establish small slaughterhouses on their farms to sell the meat themselves as part of so-called “food tourism.”

Isn't that sweet? As me old mucker Árni Jósteinsson told Bladid [itself a great name for a newspaper]:

“Home slaughtering offers opportunities for food-tourism ... Farmers could even invite tourists to observe the meat’s journey until in ends up on their plates—from the paddock to the stomach.”

That reminds me - in my concentration on the woes of the world, I forgot to eat the burger I made earlier. Should I still eat it?

6 comments:

  1. Yes.I just ate a cornish pasty I have in the fridge for 5 days. If you never see me again though you will know why.;0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slaughter on farm was the norm in the good old days, for smaller units such as ours. At least it was round our way ~ I remember sneaking into the back of the barn via a hole in the rafters to watch the pigs get killed,after my father had forbade me, as he thought I was too young ( I was about 4, or maybe 3). As I watched, I could hear the visiting butcher giving my Dad an ear bashing, along the lines of 'if he wants to watch, let him, it'll not do him any harm' ( Imagine that in a broad North Lincs accent). Seeing it for the first time didn't bother me a bit, and I maintain it is far more humane than shipping them off to a centralised slaughter house.

    As is always the case with these things, EU & UK interfering put paid to that. I shall watch the Icelandic developments with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't think so. I'd be a vegetarian toute de suite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a vegetarian for over a year when I first returned to UK due to BSE. I do not eat a lot of meat anyway, as I do prefer fish and seafood. They do make wonderful veggie burgers over here and meatless lamb but I got hooked on Cornish pasties( BSE in Filo,to be sure)and it was all downhill from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't eaten it by now, then definitely not, no.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.