Sunday, August 05, 2007

[zero sum blogging] not just a bp issue

Lord Nazh posted recently on a matter which Pommygranate had previously posted on.

Visitors.

They both have a case and I see it as a question of:

1. a "zero sum game";

2. you have to walk before you can run.

Everyone wants to be read and appreciated. Everyone wants 200+ uniques a day. Many want entry into the unofficial "club" of established bloggers, especially the political males, a club with gentle ribbing and repartee. Some of the guys want this "real bad" and only frequent big boy blogs.

No one wants to be stuck down in the 50 or so uniques, almost begging for someone to visit. But it takes time and one must have a product to start with and blog consistently. You can't fail to blog for a month and then e-mail someone to nominate you for the Dale 100.

There are those, not many, who couldn't care less about stats - as long as their blogfriends visit, they're happy but these are a minority. Into this scenario came Blogpower last December and BP carried a clear obligation - visit others as you would have them visit you.

Now, before going any further, yes I'm aware:

1. it's the holidays and many are away;

2. it's hot and people are at the beach and outdoors;

3. people are tired after a gruelling working year.

Nevertheless, yesterday, I did a trawl through every Blogpower blog and the result was grim. Leaving aside those who have posted that they're away, there were 5 who were hardly blogging at all anyway, about 7 who regularly visit others but a whopping 22 who clearly do not visit others [at least they don't appear on MyBlogLog or in the comments] and this is contrary to the agreement.

Yet I then go to Dale/Eugenides/Dillow/Worstall/Croydonian/Dizzy and many of these 22 are out in force. And some of these 22 are the most vocal in the sphere about rights and wrongs.

I'm sorry but this is just unfair to fellow members. Let's look at this scenario:

Let's say I run a blog called Daily Comment. On Tuesdays I have up to 80 visitors but on the weekend it can drop to 35 or 40. These 40 are all good people and close blogfriends, plus a few google hits and referrals.

I join Blogpower. Instantly the regular 7 start visiting, sometimes twice a day and what's more - they're commenting intelligently [generally] on what I said. Oh gosh. Yippee.

Now twenty or thirty other BPers start to trickle in and my next Tuesday shows over 100 uniques. Avidly I visit others and slowly my Tuesdays and even Wednesdays stay over 100.

Nice theory but as Lord Nazh says, the reality is different. No more than 4 or 5 are visiting him from BP but I know he is visiting dozens. This isn't a zero sum game. It's a minus. This negates the whole purpose of Blogpower and it's not just endemic to us either.

15 comments:

  1. James,

    O(n)T. been there, T-shirted. a couple of relatives are as you stated. I regularly visited, called, remembered birthdays, Christmas etc. When I stopped they all got verily(yea!) upset. Asked why they never reciprocated they all said they had not been invited.

    My position? You're family. You do not need an invite. Currently it remains a stand-off (comment as you see fit or not, I'm a big boy and can take criticism).

    My conclusion is that we think differently about 'understood values' and, sadly, they do not think.

    OT. I found this site:

    http://sioe.wordpress.com/2007/08/03/press-release-for-immediate-release/

    and think it is worthy of a wider audience so am shamelessly spreading it in the msb (main stream bloggers).

    STB.

    ps Hope that raises the relevant stats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those who couldn't give two hoots about being one of the "listed" 100 or whatever. I get regular visitors and some intelligent comment. Fortunately, most of the comment is of high quality and discussions are intelligent and well thought out; so I am grateful to those who do drop by and have their say.

    I get precious little time at the end of a working day, so I cannot guarantee visiting others. I use Bloglines to see who has updated and check them out if I have the time - I will try to comment if I have something worthwhile to add to the discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read every blogpower blog post through my RSS reader. That may well mean that I don't turn up on MyBlogLog etc, but I assure that I am reading!

    The only problem with using an RSS reader is that it can make me less likely to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I do my best - I really do. If I don't always comment, that may be because the blogger has written on something I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got a post I think you'll like James :) Read my latest next time you stop in.

    And I left my comment on DTB also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. STB - good point about the family there.

    Longrider - Bloglines is relevant and certainly helps but the smaller blogger actually needs to rack up a visit from you.

    TD - comment below.

    Welshcakes [and let's name names here] - you are one of the Super Seven, the others being JMB, Crushed, Colin, Lady MacLeod, Liz TD and Lord Nazh.

    I visit less and it's not good.

    People, this is the comment I left over at DTB:

    " ...then it's possible they could be reading every post yet never showing up...

    Exactly - so it's a great zero for the small blogger.

    I'm actively looking into adding the blogpower blogs to the others I take via RSS, which won't help from the point of view of stats.

    No it won't and if everyone does it, then stats, which are the arbiter of a blog's size slump woefully and the whole point of Blogpower is negated.

    PEOPLE NEED STATS.

    RSS is selfish because it doesn't help the blogger you're reading. It's reminiscent of the argument about pirate copies and licensed copies.

    Pommy, as usual, you have ignored what I wrote previously. I have been asking for some time for BP to use MyBlogLog - I've run three posts on it.

    Personally, it's an excellent way to see who's visited and as far as I'm concerned, someone who read the post through RSS hasn't read it.

    5:03 AM, August 06, 2007 "

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would join blog power if I got a special hat and a title of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Part of my ego thinks it would be nice to be a premier league blogger, the rest of me is happy just to use my personal blog as a sounding board. I have no idea what the stats are for my blogs, but then I spend a large chunk of my working life analysing the website performance of a well known music broadcaster and various rivals, so it would be a bit too much like work.

    Besides my best blogging (in my own opinion of course) is the niche interest stuff I do on rugby league and I've never really taken the time to promote it although it would probably be easier than promoting a personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some of my readers call me Sybil. People take unbrage at a girl with a big mouth and a sharp tongue.............but isn't that British humour at it's best.Not to mention " I am God!" which seems to get the nimby's upset.
    Do you believe that I exist now James?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why do I always see STD when I see STB? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Bloglines is relevant and certainly helps but the smaller blogger actually needs to rack up a visit from you."

    I'm here, aren't I? ;)

    I don't have a problem with RSS, but then, I've set mine to partial feeds following wholesale theft by a splog last year...

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are right. you are right. you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laze and Gem,

    I'm transferring all your comments over to the BP version of this post and closing off comments here. The idea is to put the discussion now in one place.

    ReplyDelete