Wednesday, April 25, 2007

[my father] the earthly variety, that is

I find my father difficult to write about and yet that time is about now when … well, you know.

Not a tall man but with wiry strength from hard work, his hands were strong and his hair receded somewhat later but he was never bald. He wasn't a bad looking chap.

It was a question of which got him first, in the end - the emphysema, the hepatitis or the leukemia. From the war years, it was. I didn't understand what was going on because:

a] I was still too young;

b] I'm not always au fait with this sort of thing;

c] He was a bit remote.

I didn't understand why this was but he was always a distant person and even when we did things together, like paint the walls - he was an expert - I'd always feel he was critically judging me, even though he usually praised the job, except for this little qualification or that.

He was a perfectionist.

Anything he touched he did well, until his later years. I wanted a sailboard and he built it, complete with rudder. I wanted a treehut and he built it. Some of it rubbed off and I've since built sheds and fences of reasonable, unwobbly quality.

I once built a small pyramid. He built a complete house.

He wasn't really stern but just seemed that way - one of the old school who neither suffered fools nor bad manners. Especially the latter. I never heard him use bad language. Actually, now I come to think of it, I really can't recall a swearword ever passing his lips.

He'd get angry though and very quickly. My mother, bless her heart, was … well … well … she had the capacity to provoke with a misplaced word or would do something silly, like not understand how to put up the tent on our annual seaside holiday.

I was with my father on this - how could she not understand the instruction when we'd done this thing every year since I could remember, in exactly the same way? I didn't like how he verbally mauled my mother at these times and in these situations, one stayed mauled.

On the other hand, my mother was as tough as nails and never blanched or even flinched. You have to understand we're talking only words here - fluff and foam - nothing of any lasting substance.

They always presented a united front to me so it was only years later I ever found out he never touched anyone in anger, even under severe provocation - he'd say some pretty choice things, straight to the heart of the issue and then he'd withdraw and go to the workshop.

I never knew how sick he really was. When he'd sit in that huge brown armchair, doing nothing but tap with the fingers of his right hand on the armrest, I thought he might be getting a bit lazy.

Fool - me.

He was never lazy and when I went to his workplace for the first time ever, on gold watch day, it wasn't a gold watch but a very nice brown suitcase for his upcoming first trip out of the country since the war. My mother made them go.

One or two of his underlings spoke to me of him and it seems he was as hard a taskmaster at his workplace as he was at home. This was at a time when these values were beginning to go out of fashion, especially with the young. They didn't actually say anything, of course - I just read that in their manner.

Truth was that they respected him but didn't quite know how to handle him, like us, I suppose.

He was a mason for some time and knew the local masonic community and no - he never showed me the handshake but I did see his paraphernalia once. Interesting stuff. Looked Jewish to me. He didn't remain.

Love?

Aye, there's a word, isn't it? I think of D.H. Lawrence and his father sometimes, of sons of that era and their fathers.

Love?

Probably, in that highly respected way and certainly he commanded loyalty. But he kept his own counsel so much and I'd have liked to have been closer but that was not to be.

Love?

Compassion, certainly, especially when I saw his later suffering. I really can't say "love" to a man.

I know I've never ever felt the need for a father figure nor a mother figure and perhaps that came from them. I naturally feel the need to protect, a bit like a mother hen and the need to defend - those instincts course through the veins.

Love?

Well ... yes. All right. Yes.

So now he's departed and she's departed and all of them have departed and wives have departed and girlfriends have departed and friends are in other parts of the world and still I go on.

Ellee Seymour wrote earlier, in a comment, that:

I always light a candle and place it in front of my father's photo and some flowers when it is his anniversary.

That's what I'm going to do now and then say: "Forgive me, father if I haven't represented you as I should. You know I did my best."

I think he's more kindly than I give him credit for. I believe he's possibly looking in on me right now. I think he'll not see the necessity for this post and will think the "forgive me, father" is gratuitously overdramatic but maybe he won't be too annoyed overall.

He'll like the shot of the Five Rise Locks. Pity I don't have a good one of Beckfoot Bridge.

April 26th, 04:00.

13 comments:

  1. James, this is beautiful and I have read it twice. I'm glad you have at last been able to write about it. Your father sounds a wonderful man and now we can see him in you: in your loyalty, your caring about others, your unswerving belief in your ideals and above all, what I would call your HONOUR - and I mean that in the nicest way. You were not a fool, James - you just didn't know and how could you have? Please, don't beat yourself up on that count now. Love? You have shown love in what you have written here and your father would be , and I'm sure is, very proud of you. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a difficult time thinking back at actions in the past. You have my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the Master of a Lodge of Freemasons and your post makes me proud to be one.

    My own father was a lot like yours but he succumbed to heart disease and pneumonia. He did many of the things yours did including build the home we lived in. I became a Freemason because of his upright character and the way he dealt with others.

    One of the things that freemasons hold most dear are the practice of the following words:

    ............Duty and honor now alike bind you to be faithful to every trust; to support the dignity of your character on all occasions; and strenuously to enforce, by precept and example, a steady obedience to the tenets of Freemasonry. Exemplary conduct on your part will convince the world that merit is the just title to our privileges, and that on you our favors have not been undeservedly bestowed.

    ......to your inferiors in rank or office, you are to recommend obedience and submission; to your equals, courtesy and affability, and to your superiors kindness and condescension. Universal benevolence you are zealously to inculcate; and, by the regularity of your owwn conduct, afford the best example for the conduct of others less informed...........

    ........Let no motive, therefore, make you swerve from your duty, violate your vows, or betray your trust; but be true and faithful, and imitate the example of that celebrated artist whom you have this evening represented. .......

    These words cannot make a bad man good but work on a good man and make him better. Your father was such a man. All sons think they do not measure up to the ideals set by the parent.

    My own father told me after I became a Freemason that I lived my own life and he respected me for so doing. He forgave me for wrongs of the past and was proud of my achievements.

    I know yours felt the same way about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post James- as you know I have just lost my father suddenly and that relationship is important. I found your writing very moving and very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh James, what a lovely and touching tribute to your father. It is a wonderful thing to be able to write about him, to reflect on his life and honor him by sharing it with us.

    I agree with Welshcakes, you can't regret something you didn't realize at the time. You can only cherish the fond memories that you have of him.

    Really wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well James, that was a very interesting post. Although you are obviously conflicted about your father, I think you showed him in a good light. He sounds like a man who could not show his emotions. But he showed his "love" by doing things with you and for you. Don't you wonder if his father was cold and remote towards him and if this was what he learned growing up?
    You also may have had your reaction to him coloured by his interaction with your mother which was not always kindly done, to say the least. But perhaps, once again, this was what he learned in his own family.
    I'm sure, if asked, he would have said he loved his family, but never to you directly.
    I'm also sure he did the best he was capable of and I think, from this post, looking back you realize this.
    I'm glad that you could see your way to finally writing it.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  7. James, what a powerful post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When this day is done, I'd prefer to personally e-mail those who commented here and thank you that way [don't worry - not a maudlin polemic]. For those I can't e-mail, I'll leave a comment on your blog. Have a good day today, one and all and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you was able to write about your father this, I'm sure he would have been veryp proud of you. We do always seek their approval, but as you say, they tend to keep their counsel, but you can tell just by the look in their eye that they love you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They say Yorkshiremen are not quick with their compliments, or too at home with their emotions; of course, I could not possibly comment about that... But, in the same vein, this post's not so bad.

    I've not been walking round Bingley for some time, but I'll pause and pay my respects next time I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, Ian, you picked up on it. And while you're there, take a stroll down Myrtle Lane and if you have a need of sustenance, may I recommend the gammon at Dick Hudson's oop on't moor [Eldwick].

    ReplyDelete
  12. TUP, your profile leads nowhere but thanks for the comments anyway and they were quite thought provoking.

    Bag - thanks too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We often hear about the relationship between mothers and daughters, perhaps the one between fathers and sons is much more complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.