Thursday, April 26, 2007

[suicide] to be or not to be

14 year old Mike Altman wrote this for M.A.S.H.:

The game of life is hard to play; I'm gonna lose it anyway;

The losing card I'll someday lay, so this is all I have to say:

That suicide is painless; it brings on many changes and I can take or leave it if I please.

… and Joy Division:

So this is permanence, love's shattered pride.

What once was innocence, turned on its side.

A cloud hangs over me, marks every move,

Deep in the memory, of what once was love.

Oh how I realised how I wanted time,

Put into perspective, tried so hard to find,

Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.

Destiny unfolded, I watched it slip away.

In his second year of university, an old school friend, Rhys, who'd introduced me to Rugby Union at school, was sharing a bedsit with his best friend and one day he came home, left a note for is friend Will, then blew his brains out.

The note said how sorry he was for having caused so much trouble. What trouble? There'd never been any trouble.

Because of the fear and shame it generates, suicide is scary and difficult to talk about, even for health professionals, and usually it is reported in code: "there were no suspicious circumstances". Suicide is a major public health problem, accounting for 2101 deaths in Australia during 2005. There are 40 deaths a week and rates for young males are particularly high. Suicide is on a par with the road toll as a preventable cause of premature death. We are struggling to make a real impact.

Some suggest that the internet is leading to more suicides and you can see why in the case of some of those sites, the fora, the late nights and the seeming obsession [I'm in here now, for example].

On the other hand, there are suggestions that the net can, in fact, help decrease the number if it acts as a helpline. An example of such a site is http://www.reachout.com.au and the advantage is that the helpline is just a click away for a young internetter.

Mary Quant said, in the Observer, in 1996:

Being young is greatly overestimated . . . any failure seems so total. Later on you realize you can have another go.

Many won't make it that far.

And what of yours truly? Many times it's crossed my mind but four things stop it.

1 It's self-indulgent and concerned with one's introspective ego, a failing of the young but also prevalent amongst the not so young of a certain mental set. A passage by Agatha Christie said it, for me:

You take your life today and perhaps in five, six, seven years hence, someone else will go to death of disaster simply for the lack of your presence in a given spot or place.

You say your life is your own.

But can you dare to ignore the chance that we are taking part in some gigantic drama under the orders of a Divine producer? Your cue may not come till the end of the play - a mere walking on part - but upon it may hang the issues of the play.

2 Douglas Adams' "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" is close to the Australian Aborigines' idea of the same kind - that the earth and the sky feel every nuance, every scream of terror and every murder, even self-murder.

3 The technicality that if one is Christian, then suicide is a backsliding against the 3rd person, a statement, in fact, that the 3rd person can't help you and therefore a one way ticket to the infernal regions.

4 I always want to know what's happening tomorrow.

Taken together, this is a nicety which keeps me alive. What keeps you alive?

6 comments:

  1. How freaky to click on to your blog and see a picture of Ian Curtis - a few hours after I heard on the radio that a film's being made about him, and I was looking at the Wikipedia page on him ...

    Suicide, I think, is a selfish act if you have people around you who care about you and will feel your loss. If you don't have people to feel your loss, well, I don't know about one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is a single person who hasn't considered suicide at one time or another. Most people don't act on it however. With young people I think there is a certain romantic idea about it.

    My daughter, as a teenager, used to ask me, the pharmacist, what would happen if "someone" took x number of whatever. One time she said aspirin. Lying my head off I said, oh you just would get sick and throw it up again. Nothing could be further from the truth. You certainly can kill yourself with aspirin overdose and we saw that in my hospital ER on rare occasions; sometimes they were saved.

    Now she's a 40 yr old and horrified by the several suicides that have taken place in the school where she teaches.

    But sometimes your pain (I'm talking mental here) is so great that it is intolerable and you end it the only way you think you can. I don't consider that selfish, I just think it's so sad that no one could help.

    I say that as one left behind by my father's suicide when I was 17, due to a clinical depression, in the days before there were true antidepressant drugs and ECT, electric shock treatment, was unbearable for him.
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  3. M&M, it is a bit freaky, that.

    JMB, your point:

    I just think it's so sad that no one could help.

    electric shock treatment, was unbearable for him.

    It doesn't have to be that way but people are so hardened to the help on offer, especially later, vastly better than electro-shock or drugs.

    There is one source of freely available help and it works a treat but my experience is that people run a mile the instant it's mentioned.

    So I'm not going to mention it.

    And in answer to the next question - we can't know it if we haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about this since I first read your post and come to the conclusion I don't think I have a, conscious, driver to keep myself going. I just do. Of course things don't always go my way but I'm not the sort of person to worry about what might have been. That seems to me to be the issue with people today. It's always I wanted to and If I had done this and they don't appreciate what they have. Once you start thinking -ve thoughts it's easier to actually then consider your life as worthless, wasted.

    I alway try and make the best of what happens and roll with the punches. Life is good nowadays,maybe not allover the planet but where we are it's luxury compared to others.

    I've always said 'We live in the top 10% on the planet. What do we do? We strive to be in the top 10% of that. Once we make it we strive to be in the top 10% of that 1%. Bill Gates still goes on. I would change my entire life if I acquired one million in cash. I would have to win the lottery though as I'm not prepared to compromise my life just to earn money. I been offered a lot more to go and work in London, the US or, funny enough, Russia but I'm happy where I am. I happy with what I am. Of course I'd not turn down more money, an easier job or even a bigger william but only if it fit's in with my lifestyle.

    Hope this is what you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with jmb: it has gone through all [or most people's] minds at som e time. It is a selfish act but when you are that low you do not think about that. You just want to end the pain.
    What keeps me alive? My dog and I want to know what will happen in "The Archers"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian Curtis' suicide is complicated by a number of factors. The most obvious would be his epilepsy and the powerful barbiturates he was given to control it; but his wife wrote in her book "Touching from a Distance" that it had been something he was interested in from a young age; and Tony Wilson was busy creating a legend of Joy Division -the performances fed off and fed into these ideas (the dancing, the lyrics, the dark-romantic reading he was keen on). I think lots of things led to it - it wasn't as simple as a clinical problem.
    Now that I think about it, though he may have been a genius, he was still only very young - and that was part of it too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.