Thursday, December 01, 2022

Close of play

The era, the manner, the dress … the 50s vibe just had something which, forgive me but the 40s did not … I found the 40s too gauche (sharply intaken breath of horror).  Yes, I saw swing and jive and lindy hop, saw their charm but  couldn’t quite do the Glenn Miller In the Mood or String of Pearls.

It’s also why Bix, great though he was … that tone … was in a not so good scene … the individual subordinated to the orchestra, very northern.  In this number below … we’ve had it before … horn man Lee Allen and Walter Kimble (tenor sax), plus that bass … well, those boys knew how to play.  Still orchestral, which I don’t mind for Handel, Mozart … but for jazz/blues … nah … the fat man still laid it down and caught that southern seaboard culture.


It heavily affected people like Jon Fogerty, it’s affected how many millions?  They got sommit going down that way and I have a ringside seat with “our” Toodles … she describes Pensacola, Tuscaloosa, the big game, the halftime entertainment … the summer blossoms, the intricacies of the cuisine, the love of God still going over there down south, lost up north … but also Birmingham and its hills.

I’d really love to bring it to you but its deeply woven in with character studies of family and neighbours … I’m telling you readers … Ahm one blessed man, yes I am, the fine things laid upon this table.  How to bring the richness of Toodles to us without breaching privilege?

But you know, we don’t do half badly here either … just reading the electrical things again. You put the N.O. port of call alongside all the fine blogs and vlogs laying it down … man, that’s the human condition in one.  Give me that any day … our rants, our observations, our idiosyncrasies … give us that any day of the week, man … over that pap we’re having forcefed down us.  Yessiree.

Just one revelation about Toodles … she really is the antebelum lady today, she occupies a room she walks into, I’m on my best behaviour there, yes sir, but Jimbo has offended more than once, the southern manners.  But I’m also thinking the Reader Bobs, the Penseivats.  No one deep planned any of it, it happened, it can’t be contained … coz then it’s being stifled … I saw the dead hand of communism in Russia.  And now I’m getting Byzantium too, right next to the war zone in Greece.  With reports from Oz and NZ as well.  Back home, I’m including France as us … what’s 22 miles of channel?

Living history, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Toodles~

    Well...ummm...uhhhh...hmmmm...😯😚😏🤗.

    The folks at N.O. are tops to my way of thinking...curmudgeons and the few who are not. A perfect blend of personalities.

    When I am out and about people ask me how the fellas and occassional lady at N.O. are doing. (A small place so word gets around.) Busy, to the point, halarious, honourable, heroes is my answer.

    Never dull!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.