The number of Xes are not the number of letters.
1. Robin Hood, in A Gest of Robyn Hood, wore a good mantle of xxxx and raye, dyed using the dried bodies of the female field louse. Er ... what colour was he wearing?
2. In the Malheur National Forest in Oregon is the largest living thing on earth. What is it? It covers 890 hectares.
3. In E.N. Anderson's The Food of China , this is named as a dish local to Toisan. It's not from the US. Which dish?
4. Heron, in Alexandria, AD62, invented the aleopile, which was probably the world's first working xxxx?
5. Darwin, at Cambridge, as part of The Glutton, at one particular meal, ate which particular bird? It was not nice.
6. 'Drink, drink. Fan, fan. Rub, rub.' Whose last words?
7. Which metal is the best conductor?