Friday, January 21, 2022

Friday [1 to 5]

Continuing this theme of sanity versus insanity:

5.  Doonhamer [DH] makes a good point

IDWYouTThink that this is some sort of affectation on our part, that we love these [ana]acronyms or somthing, and DH is certainly not impressed:
Please, please, IHNOIWATAM* I know if makes clever clogs feel really superior but really clever people do not need to do this.

*I Have No Idea What All These Acronyms Mean. Apologies. I left out an F. Or few. Please stick it / them in where appropriate.
Quite right, DHtheDS [Doonhamer the dour Scot], I could not agree more. IMHO, in RL [Rugby League], one does not need such affectations.

4.  Back to the sanity of the real world

Daily Sceptic mailing today:
Triple-Jabbed Over-30s Have Higher Infection Rates Than the Unvaccinated, UKHSA Data Show
Scurrilous.

3.  Haiku


Also - not everyone loves electric:


2.  DAD brings this scurrilous piece

... which we are assured by our betters is misleading and breaking community guidelines, the saintly Dr. Faust Fauci has assured us no beagles were harmed in the process, so I need to WARN you, reader, that this is utterly misleading, ok?


1.  A short anecdote



How does a person who's had so few constraints placed on his behaviour by his parents, yet those parents were the most respectable 50s type, bringing him up in eternal verities and insisting he spell and count properly, avidly read and write coherent essays, that he be chivalrous to all ... how can that person not fail to be a free spirit and yet conventional, socially?

And what if he's showing signs of losing his marbles, approaching official old age?  A friend wrote from Oz and I'd pointed to the insanity down there.  She's nursing a broken shoulder where she came off her bicycle doing a 'downhill' over the downhill skiing run at a ski resort and I marvelled at that, whilst drawing attention to her age.  Not done with a lady.  She's ten years younger than I.

I replied about skiing, black and red runs, the Hahnenkamm and she shot back, and it's breaking no confidence to write this:
I think you have your seasons mixed up! I was mountain biking. 
Er yes. Yes, I was mixing the seasons up, the early morning mind wandered to my own recent past and I replied:
I do indeed have them mixed up, under the hammer here. And now a tale.

About 2014, I gave up biking when I went down a known hill around here, a drag track in fact and took the corner at the bottom at 90 degrees, the bike lying over on its pedal, the tyre coming off its rim, me going with it, but there was a Halfords store across the road with a bike repair service and I got two new wheels.  Also changed the gear wiring.

I just felt, after that let off, that it was best not to do that sort of thing any more.  And in 2017, after the heart attack, I gave away driving and now take cabs.  After all, I was picking up points on my licence for speeding something awful [up to that point].
Actually, that was while still in Russia and I felt it best not to zoom around our roads the same way and lose my licence.  And just coming back to that corner I took, method was to brake just before and then power through the corner, as with one's car.

Just thinking too - I know another fast lady over in the States, Mustang Sally had nothing on her.  And I know one across the Pennines here, very swift on the roads she is, ultrasafe, a good driver.  Which rather undercuts occasional remarks I've made on this blog about ladies and cars and planes.

How do I get involved with such people?  My mate down the road [male] is an ex biker who is now ultra-respectable and he has a mate I know who has a bike workshop with all sorts of lovely marques in there he restores. Let's face it - none of us go gently into that good night, do we?

7 comments:

  1. "IDWYouTThink that this is some sort of affectation on our part, that we love these [ana]acronyms or anything, and DH is certainly not impressed"

    Neither am I, to be honest. If the reader can't understand the piece, its a waste of time and energy writing it. With pieces like that I tend to just click out and miss what could be important information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And every profession and clique has its own, but often the same acronym means different things depending on who used it.
      This I know from experience with aircraft industry, military and engineering. And on telly the polis and medics have their own.
      I bet somebody, somewhere has died by acronym.
      I don't mind the use of them but the first time one is used in a book of article it should be followed by the full unacronymed version, usually in brackets.

      Delete
    2. Death by acronym ... now that really is an interesting idea. On the other hand, PD uses IMHO, which is fairly clear, though of late, he uses 'in my 'umble'.

      Delete
  2. #3. Toyota sell lots of vehicles for use in countries with little or no electricity supply infrastructure and some of these countries are huge.
    The people there think nothing of driving very long distances, perhaps solo or with a mate to share the driving with.
    The thought of driving in the bush hoping that the next charging point 200 miles/km ahead is functioning is daunting.
    Old Toyoda is not daft. Let the others spend billions developing vehicles for western Europe and the coastal fringes of North America and Australia. He will happily take the rest.
    When you see ISIS or the Taliban driving battery powered pick-ups, or the UN, and all its attachments, driving battery powered big, white, top of the range 4X4s then you will know the revolution really has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Oz, sometimes it was longer than that, e.g. the Nullabor.

      Delete
  3. Some of the acronyms used here don't chime with me. It does interfere with my understanding of the piece sometimes. I put that down to my ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's the one on a board in my local pub:
    WYBMADIITY?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.