Friday, April 16, 2021

Live and breathing

Intriguing things keep happening.  What are the chances someone with a youtube playlist has things such as Al Bowlly, Adrian Rollini, Langhorne Slim, early 90s noise pop, Sandy Denny, Modern Lovers, Tuba Skinny, l'Arpeggiata, Wire - I mean such a bizarre range of music with no connection - and yet it's the same bizarre range as mine? 

Either I've been copying him or else ... name of the subscription is:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LiveandBreathing

Then I saw his blurb - independent and intimate live - the word 'intimate' here meaning interwoven construction where they're thinking, trying things which soar, plummet, drone on, whatever, and that's one reason I'm not crazy for big orchestras but more for chamber music, can't stand Big Band swing, love ensembles.

Without further ado - three numbers:


Early to mid-90s - why was it the last hurrah for indy music?  In my case, the 80s were family, work, other things - the 90s saw me the other side and breaking out, this was the going music the gals played me.  That drone is quite appealing to my ears.

Then there is the independent thinking, rather than Dylanesque, Elvis Costello or Paul Simon drivel ... plus drone and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.