Saturday, August 22, 2009

[late evening listening] perfect day

Do you have a few minutes for this excellent youtube or must you click through straight away?

Oh it's such a perfect day,
I'm glad I spent it with you.
Oh such a perfect day,
You just keep me hanging on.

Just a perfect day,
Problems all left alone,
Weekenders on our own.
It's such fun.

Just a perfect day,
You made me forget myself.
I thought I was someone else,
Someone good.










Wiki says:

The song's lyrics are often considered to suggest simple, conventional romantic devotion, possibly alluding to Reed’s relationship with Bettye Kronstadt (soon to become his first wife) and Reed’s own conflicts with his sexuality, drug use and ego.

However, on a deeper reading of the song's lyrics, amongst the idealised description of a "perfect day", interposed lines such as "You just keep me hanging on", and "I thought I was someone else, someone good" suggest a far deeper yearning than just the superficial romantic clichés, and allude to the underlying and painful bitterness of nostalgia often felt even as an event is lived - an event one knows or fears to be a mere distraction or illusion. The repeated last line 'You`re going to reap just what you sow' is very similar to Galatians 6:7.

Some commentators have further seen the lyrics as displaying Reed's romanticised attitude towards a period of his own addiction to heroin. Critics of this view assert that Reed never tried to conceal his drug use, so the song does not have concealed meanings of this nature.

7 comments:

  1. I have always liked that song, the lyrics make you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You possibly haven't seen me make this comment before on a music collage of mine but I'm particularly proud of this one because of the youtube fitting into it. Plaudits to whoever compiled the youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes just like the girl in the park ;-) But it was more like the girl in the garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right - its a strange song ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting words, and they do make you think. :)

    like the collage with the music, James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherie, Uber, Mutley and HGF - spasibo ogromnoye.

    Mutley, I was actually thinking about you yesterday. That's frightening, isn't it? The image in the mind was you by the seashore.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.