Tuesday, June 09, 2009

[thought for the day] tuesday evening


I was such a foolish girl - girls are foolish, Mr. Satterthwaite.  They are so sure of themselves, so convinced they know best.  People write and talk a lot about women's instinct.  I don't believe, Mr. Satterthwaite, that there is any such thing.  There doesn't seem to be anything that warns girls against a certain type of man.  Nothing in themselves, I mean.  Their parents warn them but that's no good - one doesn't believe.  It seems dreadful to say so but there is something attractive to a girl in being told anyone is a bad man.  She thinks at once her love will reform him.

[Agatha Christie, 1934]

Any comment, people?

7 comments:

  1. I think some women just like to love a rogue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agatha Christie knew what she was talking about.
    My precious 20 year-old daughter shocked our Christmas assemblage when she opined that boys were so feminized that girls were practically begging their boyfriends to man up, and that not a few had gone to the dark side to find something more interesting, including getting smacked around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xlbrl - Dearieme takes me to task for the 'cheap fiction' and in this he is perhaps correct.

    However, as you say, Agatha Christie knew what she was talking about. As a writer, she was passable - open fire, cold night, reading matter - but as a student of human psychology, she was superb and I confess that quite a few of my ideas stem from something she wrote.

    As you wrote about your daughter, Christie can be relevant, not in all details and hers is a broad brush stroke but food for thought nonetheless.

    Plus she was a woman.

    Cherie - they do and not just some. I'd venture to say, to varying degrees - all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Dearieme takes me to task for the 'cheap fiction'": since the allusion was to the ditties of Mr Noel Coward, you might consider whether praise was intended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, Dearieme; I doff my cap and concede there's been a certain overreaction on the part of Hob. He's had a few things on the mind today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, my first brush then with gay attraction if you're a bad boy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.