Friday, December 05, 2008

[bitchiness] the new entertainment?

Is it a truism that we show our generation by the music we listen to and maybe the TV shows we choose to watch? If so, then it might define our national identity as well.

Having been out of the country for so long, I never had the necessity to witness the excrescence in the picture to the left here but this evening it happened.

Not knowing anything about her whatsoever and never having been a TV type person anyway, certainly as a viewer of that type of show, the eyes were popping as I saw her stand stock still, some sort of spindly, reptilian school ma'am and spit venom at a woman for no discernible reason.

In a cackling voice, she stared straight at the woman and asked if she sold cottages in France or something like that. Then she asked where she came from, before observing, "Why would anyone want to go to Preston to get a place in France? A smile vaguely played on the reptile's face all the while.

Firstly, is this entertainment and if you say yes, then what possible pleasure do you derive from making people feel small [unless they deserve it, I hastily add]?

I'd dearly like to meet up with her for fifteen minutes and see how she survives my observations of her. I think they call her Anne Robinson and she's reportedly made millions from this sort of thing.

6 comments:

  1. I tried watching her show once but she spoke so indistinctly that I gave up; a quiz where you can't make out the questions is unentertaining. That must be one of the few ways you can cock up something so elementary as a quiz; why on earth did they hire her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand the woman !
    I have often wanted to go on that show to pick on her, for all the people she has picked on.

    In the day, game/talk show hosts would get fired for treating their guests that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know why I don't watch the TV anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting characters...
    don't they make life interesting??

    i like and love to observe all kinds of people...that in itself is entertainment to me :)

    wishes,
    devika

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.