Wednesday, May 07, 2008

[heraldry] blogger family crests

You'll possibly recall this recent post and it appears some of our fellow bloggers already have crests:

Wonko, who's about to fly off to Gordotaxland:

First found in Lancashire where they [the Parrs] were seated from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.


Cherie, who shares a very famous surname:

I did a little check and it seems 'We Jeffersons' have one already! But my ancestors seem to have been from the Whitby area! That being the case I can't tell you which county I was born in!!!


It appears JMB has a few as well but she's not showing.

Lord Nazh appears to have one though:

First found in Leicestershire, where the Martin family was seated from very early times. The family was granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.

For many English families, the political and religious disarray that plagued their homeland made the frontiers of the New World an attractive prospect.


8 comments:

  1. Yes but...you're a Heraldry buff, you know what I'm going to say next, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/Martin-family-crest.htm

    this is probably ours, but I'd have to look through my dad's stuff :)

    Of course I can still claim Longshanks crest (heh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Wonko's name is pretty famous too!
    I was rather incensed since they seem to give only the English connections on Gray, my maiden name but maybe the Scottish Gray came from England originally. Who knows?

    As for my current surname, when I did the thing on Sally's blog, how many with your name are there in the USA, the answer was one! So one in the USA and one in Canada! A pretty rare beast it seems. And Mr Google brings up another one in Ireland although I do come in at number 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Wolfie's link:

    Arms are only transmitted through a female line when there is a failure of male heirs. A woman with no surviving brothers, or whose deceased brothers have no surviving issue, is an heraldic heiress. She is not necessarily a monetary heiress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is supposed to have Welsh origins too. Not sure where that comes from. My line is traced back to the early 17c I have only found English connections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LIke eeryone with an Irish surname there is a coat of arms for my family name. I'll post mine presently. It looks far more regal than my family's circumstances merited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you guys didn't buy those. They pump those out and when I went googling tried to sell me you guy's exact same ones with the same "family history" its just a scam.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.