Sunday, January 06, 2008

[late for the sky] still we continue on

Jackson Browne had his detractors. Some thought his songs a little twee, the pathos overdone. Some thought much of his material music to slit your wrists by, a little like Leonard Cohen [different genre of course]. Some thought he became too much the journeyman muso. Some thought he was wonderful.

I met the man, with his girlfriend of the time, Daryl Hannah [Splash], sometime after the suicide of his wife. He seemed a nice guy.

This song I particularly liked - Late for the Sky:

Now the words had all been spoken
And somehow the feeling still wasn't right

And still we continued on through the night


Tracing our steps from the beginning

Until they vanished into the air

Trying to understand how our lives has led us there


Looking hard into your eyes

There was nobody I'd ever known

Such an empty surprise to feel so alone


Now for me some words come easy

But I know that they don't mean that much

Compared with the things that are said in a lover's touch


You never knew what I loved in you

I dont know what you loved in me

Maybe the picture of somebody you were hoping I might be

Awake again I can't pretend and I know I'm alone

And close to the end of the feeling we've known


How long have I been sleeping

How long have I been drifting alone through the night

How long have I been dreaming I could make it right
If I closed my eyes and tried with all my might
To be the one you need.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, James - and a good Christmas, if you're doing that in your part of the world today. Sorry to read about the BP troubles - don't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.