Sunday, November 11, 2007

[technorati] don't fix what ain't broke


Ordovicius is quite rightly seriously annoyed about Technorati's act of ritual suicide:
Earlier this year Technorati adopted a new system, whereby a blog's authority would no longer reflect how many all time links it has, but only those of the last six months. The overwhelming response to this from bloggers has been a "Screw you, technorati", and the removal of links to technorati itself.
Completely agree. Bloggers took a long time to patiently build up those links and links are a blog's lifeline because only through these can a blog be visited. Imagine the chagrin when a blogger suddenly sees his "authority" slump!

Technorati don't give a toss for what blogs are trying to do and I hope they [Technorati] either see the light and amend their ways or else go down in a screamng heap with Facebook.

Not everyone agrees. Ian Kallen says:
Technorati authority is not a monotonically ascending value, it has a time component. Since Summer of 2006 Technorati authority has been based on a rolling 180 day window counting unique blogs linking to a blog. That hasn't changed. Authority drops when links age out and new ones aren't coming in to replace them or when there are data corrections (for instance, spam blogs or data duplication removals). There was a post on the Technorati blog about the various count metrics last year, see Making Sense of Link Counts.
I have other gripes with Technorati. My profile is all wrong, they persist in saying I am hugh jensen or might be so, when I am neither and I've written e-mail after e-mail about it, all ignored. This blogger, vis a vis Technorati, is not a happy chappy.

7 comments:

  1. That explains why my rating plummeted from near 200 to 70ish. I thought they'd just found a way to discount 2000 Bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not entirely certain abut this, but wasn't technorati's decision in response to pressure from Google? (Google having just revamped their link-love system?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew any of that so thanks for the explanation. I'm with Ordo on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice to hear what they have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. > My profile is all wrong, they
    > persist in saying I am
    > hugh jensen or might be so,
    > when I am neither
    > and I've written e-mail after
    > e-mail about it, all ignored.

    There are two profiles associated with this blog
    mightbeso and hughjensen.
    I haven't dug into the support queue but I've removed those associations, can you claim the blog with a profile that is you?

    kind regards,
    -Ian
    Technorati

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was quite a let down for me to go from the top 10,000 to obscurity. I was wondering what that was all about. Technorati do need to change their ways.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.