Thursday, October 11, 2007

[thursday] child works hard for a living

Bad day.

It wasn't that anything particularly disastrous happened but it didn't "gel", didn't synchronize, as it should have. The good part was realizing early that this was going to happen but not early enough to stop a bit of early nastiness.

Over here you always interface with the shields up and that explains my combative tone in many posts, at odds with the other side of me. I often forget to drop the shields later when I come to blog and am still expecting attack 24/7.

The only relaxation, of course, is with someone close and you neither expect any trouble from those quarters nor usually get it. When the horror dawned on me today that that was precisely where it was coming from, the shields went back up but too late.

This had me a gibbering wreck inside for the bulk of the day, not helped by taxis which took wrong turns [got the naïve driver who wanted to talk about life in Britain], two blood noses and no driver to my next appointment.

A sweet group of girls mid-afternoon afforded some relaxation but then it continued with the tramvai.

It didn't come. Some accident had kept them banked up and suddenly there were trams everywhere and mine had a twenty degree tilt to the right which was quite endearing but added to the cacophany as we rocketed down the straight to my stop.

Back home to the relaxation of the blog and the first comments on the EU Constitution post had me reeling again. Now I'm going into Blogpower and who knows what will be in there.

Bad day. Now to the origin of the day:

In the original poem of 1887, Thursday's child works hard for a living. In countries that adopt the Sunday-first convention, it is considered the fifth day of the week. However, in ISO 8601 it is the fourth day of the week.

In Slavic languages and in Chinese, this day's name is "fourth" (Polish czwartek, Russian четверг, pronounced CHET-vierg). Portuguese, too, uses a number for this day: quinta-feira, "fifth day", (see Days of the week for more on the different conventions).

The contemporary name comes from the Old English Þunresdæg (with loss of -n-, first in northern dialects, from influence of Old Norse Þorsdagr), meaning "Day of Thunor", this being a rough Germanic equivalent to the Latin Iovis Dies, "Jupiter's Day".

Well, all done and not so bad after all.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no, since you are doing the original poem tomorrow is going to be full of woe. I do hope that you got Friday's dose of woe a day early and tomorrow will be fair sailing or some other appropriate cliché!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope today is better. I know how you feel- I've been feeling bad myself with some kind of fever and the flu. I've got insomnia as well.

    Oh well- there is always the reassurance that things change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JMB - you're right on the money.

    Tiberius - hope your Friday sees you fresh and renewed and indeed for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this series of posts and will go back and read the earlier ones later. Sorry you had such an awful Thursday. I was on a plane at the time - but not to Russia, or I'd have come and given you a cuddle!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.