Saturday, August 18, 2007

[diplomacy] the art of getting your own way

In every altercation between the two species, men and women, it could all surely have been avoided with a few carefully chosen, genuine words of conciliation.

Your task is to choose the best variant from below. None of the variants might be your first choice so choose the least worst from what's on offer:

1. He has some friends around to watch the ball game on TV, forgetting he'd promised to take her to the opening of the new furniture shop. How should he respond to her concerns?

a. [Takes her aside] Look, I'm sorry. The game finishes at four and I'll get rid of the guys then and we'll go straight there then we'll eat at the new Chinese which opened in the centre. Would that be OK?

b. Don't you have some laundry to do or something?

c. It's my turn for the ball game. You had your turn last week. We agreed.

2. He wants to go to the game, she has shopping plans but he digs his heels in. What's her best tactical gambit?

a. You're always wanting to go to the football. Why can't you think of me for a change?

b. [Moves up close] Could we video record it and watch it later today? By the way [staring straight into his eyes], do you have any ideas how we might … er … spend the evening after we watch it? I have this strange feeling coming all over me.

c. Look, I already have two children. I don't need a third. Don't be such a baby.

3. She's just got the place looking good for the study group she's hosting when he comes home and traipses dirt across the carpet. Which is his best response?

a. You know, you’re so cute when you’re angry.

b. [No response - takes off the shoes, goes for the vacuum and gets cleaning.]

c. Sorry.

4. She's upset and wants to talk about his faults - numbers 27 to 46 from her 100 point list. What's his best strategy?

a. Oh, my stomach [clutching at his belly] ohhh I have a stomach ache something awful. Have to go to bed, darling.

b. Is there any way we can do this via e-mail?

c. All right. We'll do this the once. [Sits her on the divan and takes her hand]. You say what's on your mind then we'll try to find a compromise. If we can't, we'll come back to it tomorrow but not today, all right?

5. He's stopped looking after himself and that paunch is turning into a beer belly. How should she approach it?

a. Have you looked at yourself in the mirror today? When was the last time?

b. Would you go with me to the fitness club for ten sessions? I'm not comfortable going by myself but I really need to get some weight off. I'd feel better with you helping me there.

c. Big butts and beer guts are fashionable this year, I hear.

6 comments:

  1. 1 a but I don't understand why she can't go by herself. Hasn't she got a mind?
    2 b but ditto.
    3 b
    4 c
    5 b { I suppose].

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I would say a., but I'd be working on the contingency plan for four O'clock, knowing full well my mates would be unlikely to just disappear.

    2.b is the best bet, but still unlikely to pan out. Live football is live football.

    3.c., or b, though I wouldn't ever take my shoes off in my own home. I'm funny about that, I hate not wearing shoes.

    4. c. And it WOULD be just once.

    5. a. It's the only way works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find most of these responses too manipulative. I gree wiht Welshcakes about why can't she go on her own? He wld probably ruin it for her anyway and who wuld want to have a man in tow when going furniture shopping? They might wnat to have say in what was bought! Crushed- 5 - a? Okay then............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welshcakes - "Hasn't she got a mind?"

    It may be that she loves him and he her. This causes a strange phenomenon of wanting to be together.

    Crushed - you'll be in trouble for 5 [ha ha].

    Uber - see - I knew he'd be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I've done all the love bit andever wanting to be apart - but you don't have to be "taken" everywhere as if you are a child!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.