Friday, September 25, 2009

[the eleventh hour] things which have happened

Seriously, I don't know what you'd call it - bad karma, gremlins, spooks - but we've all had this. A fellow blogger [I'll put the name and link after I've been round the blogs tonight] wrote about teaspoons always being found in the wrong places; at the tennis court, the balls go missing - you know the type of thing.

There's an intersection not far from my place, on the way to the station and it involves cycling under a flyover [see diagram] and reaching a point marked by the red fuzz. Now, obviously that's the wrong side of the road so perhaps I get off the bike and walk it, all docile like, to that spot, where it involves stepping on the road and crossing to the roundabout.

Right, this is no exaggeration - even at peak hour, this part of the world is out of the way and you'd be lucky to get two cars at any one time, more usually none. That is, until reaching that red fuzzy part. Suddenly, traffic comes from nowhere and blocks the road.

I mentioned to my mate that on every single occasion I'd travelled to his place over the previous two weeks, I'd reached that point, [never before the point and not after I've stepped onto the road], when the traffic would suddenly appear.

Yesterday took the prize.

The narrow road, lower right, is a sliproad off the flyover but all the others are minor. I reached the dreaded spot once again, having checked over my shoulder that there were no cars, I listened intently to what might appear from around to the right and so on. One car did appear and went by.

Fine.

As my foot went to step onto the roadway, two cars came off the sliproad, at pace, into the roundabout, just as a little blue car came from my right, a white van came from ahead and a beige Volvo came from behind. I just stood there with my bike, staring at it all unfolding and then the car horns began - b-l-a-r-e-e-e-e-e-!!!!!

Thirty seconds later, it was all over, I hopped on my bike and had the road entirely to myself for the next half mile. That is not an exaggeration.

Always at that same point on the footpath. I should write a story based on that.

Why would such things happen? It's uncanny.

9 comments:

  1. Lots of things are quite uncanny. For example my house alarm and what I did just before I went away and what happened when I was traveling to my hols...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's spooky... everytime I ask for sex, I have to pay cash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherie - I'm sure there were many things.

    Harry - we all pay in osme way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems perfectly obvious to me. The producers of "The Higham Show" asked the viewers to choose a repeating scenario that would freak you out, to laugh at your reaction... and it's working. I always tune in. It's a hoot. Have you STILL not realised? You're quite a star out here in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL@Andrew. Wait until he sees whata happenes next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the man above is trying to say something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting reading back. Now I know why those things happened and what the messages were :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.