Tuesday, June 16, 2009

[blog stats] too misleading to rely on

Seriously, I've given up trying to analyse stats. The most visited post [7 in each 100] was the Canadian one about Lynch. Yet at the time of writing, there were no comments. The last evolution post, predictably, was shunned and the railway embankment, garnering 9 comments, was visited by few.

Of course, that excludes the RSS readers. In other stats:
49.5% of visitors here use Firefox 1 and 1% use Firefox 3 [which I use];
60% use Java 1.5;
33% use a 1024x768 [I use 1680x1050];
75% use 32 bit;
92.6% use English but 3.2% speak French and 2.1% Spanish;
52% use WinXP and 18.6% MacOSX [which I use];
39% are U.K. and 35% U.S. but that’s reversed in the past 15 minutes;
In the last 100, there’ve been 51 separate entry pages;
I get 1.4 views per visit

7 comments:

  1. Most blog stats are pointless. I copuld not give a damn about the OS or browser people use, let alone the monitor resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seem to feed some sort of techie need, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

    What are the uses of stats for your blog anyway? In business it's so you can change if necessary to meet your customers requirements. But do bloggers ever modify their blogs after analysing the stats and find most of their viewers use 800x600 or something?

    Most are just interested in the hits to see how popular they are and page views so they can see what are the popular posts so they can write morelike that. That I can understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is interesting over 45% of my visitors are different versions of firefox 3... what does that say about me!!!

    My most interesting statistic at the moment I can't publish online!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing is, as Lord T says, why would we wish to know those things? Maybe we have lots of spare time on our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second evolution post was predictably ignored because it involved very basic questions that needed much thought and research to answer correctly in any depth.

    Seemingly your audience is mostly comprised of fellow site operators who have their own agenda, and precious little time left for deep questions that may be fringe to their main interests.

    Such subjects have been a long term (multi-decades) interest of mine, so I recognise the complexity of any answer worthy of the name.

    I also recognise the time it would require to correctly deliver such an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stats?

    I have more fingers on one hand than visitors each day to all of my blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.