Thursday, March 05, 2009

[one man show] the problem of the succession



How many times do we see a group, series, film franchise, monarchy or whatever languish because of just one person?

The obvious choice in the monarchical world was Henry VIII, although talent did pop up later in the form of Anne’s daughter. In music, the biggest surprise to me was how the death of Jon Bonham derailed that group when many thought it was Page and Plant that drove it.

I’ve just been reading about a group I’ve featured on this blog before – Niagara and how they ended:

Ceci se rajoute au fait que Muriel, fatiguée, déprimée et lasse, ne supporte plus la pression. Elle décide d'arrêter... Niagara n’est plus! Ainsi se conclut la brillante carrière d’un groupe ayant réussi dans tous les domaines.

This is a perfect example of a group which was not a group – it was actually a duo and when we get down to the stark reality – it was her.

At least Blondie acknowleged that Deborah Harry, whom I’m delighted to be able to claim I’ve rubbed up against in a frottagically crowded pub, was the be all and end all of that group.

Similarly, take out Ian Curtis and what’s left?

In film, would the Bond franchise still be alive without Craig? Perhaps that’s one case where the principle of ‘take out the principal and there’s no point anymore’ doesn’t apply.

1 comment:

  1. Blondie one of my faves, but I am glad I don't have the same claim to fame as you ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.