Saturday, March 21, 2009

[hats] don't leave home without one



Nobody should leave home without a hat. They define us, protect us, keep the rain off us but which to choose? You could start downmarket, with a leather cap:

... or try an Akubra, Brit style:

Failing that, you can try it Aussie style:

... or American. For some people, the hat is them:

You don't even need a hat - Tess sports her own 'non-hat' design here:

... and this scruff, Nureyev, opts for the beanie or toque which has seen better days:

Of course, the trilby and its cousins are a step up in the right direction:

... but to really cut a dash, the bowler with traditional uniform:

... and not so traditional might be your thing.

Please don't wear the apple to the front though. It's meant to hang elegantly from the rear brim:

Some prefer the historic touch:

... or the dashing sheikh:

... but all black, I'm afraid, is strictly non-u:

Wide-brimmed hats are always fashionable either for him:

... her:

... or for the French, where line of vision is not a primary consideration:

If you're the outgoing type, you can adorn it with Moulin Rouge plumes:

Or just sport the plumes on their own. Let's face it, some people just cannot wear headgear:

... and for some, the hairstyle itself is the trademark:

It's hard to see the Banksy face mask going together with a hat:

When all is said and done, it's your choice. My personal favourite is the little number below:


6 comments:

  1. I used to prefer a Dutch cap myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that last one, James. Is there something you're trying to tell us about yourself?

    I mean, we're all friends here, I'm sure..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't wear hats myself. I haven't found one that doesn't make me look stupid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone should know what sort of hat suites them and also wear it in the appropriate manner! Each hat has it's particular style and jauntiness ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I have been bald for years, I find it necessary to wear a hat outdoors. A sunburnt head is no fun, and if cold rain or snow hits the top of a bald head it gives me an "ice cream headache".

    ReplyDelete
  6. JPT - :)

    NNWer - I want to be a monarch, sir.

    Jams - Are they goggles in your avatar?

    Cherie - indeed.

    Bob - it's our curse.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.