Tuesday, January 13, 2009

[black cap] better on the head

You know those very weird moments when you lose something and it turns up in a completely unexpected place?

Just happened.

We went shopping and stopped off for chish 'n fips and I took off my black cap in the chippie and put it in my pocket but realized it was a bit loose in there. Never mind. Got back in the car with the packets and away we went. Back home, we unloaded the car, put everything away and made ready to watch a film.

I took the jacket off and put it on the chair and that's when I realized the cap had gone. I checked the pocket it had been in, checked the other, checked inside the jacket, checked outside and followed the trail back to the car, checked inside the car where I'd been - nothing.

Not a sausage. Deep gloom.

That cap has a history. It's been with me in Russia for over a decade, to many other countries and it has a history of being lost and turning up in very strange places. It was lost in Sicily last time and turned up on a stone wall.

After the film now, I was made an offer - you want to go down to the shop again - it might be in the gutter, the cap. Nah, it'll be gone. No, let's go. OK, went to put my jacket on and the cap was in the end of the sleeve.

Go figure.

6 comments:

  1. Happens to me all the time...

    I think you summed it up with go figure. There is a message in there that needs to be figured out!

    BTW: my latest weird incident/co-incidence happened at the weekend, it involved another Bloghound!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Havers has started a new blog on independent book stores and was asking for ideas.

    I had a flash of inspiration on Saturday afternoon so sent him an email with my bookshop thought...

    He emailed me back the next day with the amazing co-incidence.

    See here and here.

    He was queuing up in the store I mentioned to pay for his books at the very moment I sent my email to him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant story! I know the feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that cap well. You can't lose it - it's part of you! Once, flying Sicily to London, I lost a locket of sentimental value. I cried all through the coach trip to Cardiff. That night I found it down my bra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have prayed to Titfer, the Egyptian god of head wear

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.