Saturday, November 15, 2008

[alcoholism] when is it recognized

It's not a good idea to open a post with an apology but I'll apologize up front to any readers who are the prisoners of addiction, be it alcohol, other drugs, caffeine or even chocolate.

We're going to an almighty knees-up tomorrow and the thought flitted through the head, "I hope there's some beer there." Many know that I don't smoke and hardly drink - I think the last beer was a month ago, the one before that a month and a half earlier and the one before that in Sicily. Can't remember when I last smoked.

However, I'd kill for a beer right now - a nice, luscious Theakstons or whatever, foaming at the top and sliding down with the minimum of effort. Should I check in to Alcoholics Anonymous?

A bit more seriously, when does a person recognize the problem? At what point? Seems to me that he can't recognize it until it's upon him. There's a drinking culture among youth and it's highly publicized. I do think it's worse than yesteryear but then again, I was first drunk at thirteen, then at seventeen and there was a fair bit of bingeing after that. Must have been a saint between thirteen and seventeen.

What happened? Don't know - just grew out of it, I suppose. I've always loved red wine and developed a taste for a single malt along the way so there's no moral objection to the stuff. Even Jesus advised people to try a little wine instead of water, I believe.

Again, where is the point when you're addicted?

9 comments:

  1. I like a nice glass of white wine myself, but it's a rare thing for me, as I just never really developed a taste for acohol in general.

    I don't tend to date men who drink ,either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when does a person recognize the problem?

    I would say when someone starts lying about it, to themselves and others. But of course they still don't recognise it themselves. There was someone just like that in the ward with my Dad. He discharged himself, but I think he will be back in again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate is not an addiction; it’s a health food.
    However, alcohol and cigarettes are nasty addictions that ruin health and lives. The combination of the two causes millions of deaths yearly—and that’s been proven.
    Nevertheless, industry promotes them as pleasure products. Pleasure products? Ever see a person die from lung cancer or alcoholism?

    If you “need” to have a drink every day, you are an alcoholic. Alcohol has a half-life of 24 hours. If you have five drinks at noon today, you still have half of that alcohol in your system at noon tomorrow. Do the math.

    If you smoke cigarettes, stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, Uber.

    When someone starts lying or maybe even deluding himself, Cherie.

    Winfred - hi. Yep, not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right James he was deluding himself. But he wasn't fooling anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Single Malt?

    Chivas Regal, or Southern Comfort.

    Wine?

    Puke!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although Winfred said that chocolate is not an addiction, i do have a bit of a problem with it. If you were to leave four 200g blocks on the table, I'd nibble and nibble until it was all gone.

    Anything else I can stop when I want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go with the standard definition of an alcoholic... that is... somebody who drinks more than their GP.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.