Friday, September 05, 2008

[good navigation] the key to readers returning

Every one of us gets about other blogs - my primary method is to go first to my comments, read through and then click on the links there.

This produces some surprising results.

In the case of ScotsToryB, it produces a page which presumably is there to provide him with a link and to register who came. That's fine, as at least it does go somewhere.

Sometimes when you click on such links, it gives you a notice that it is open to invited readers only and again that's fine.

In other cases though, it either goes nowhere or else it links to an old blog. Now I can understand a blogger wishing to route his/her readers through some other blog, a little like Madame Toussaud's taking visitors through the shop and cafe before they can leave but we now get into the question of coercion.

If I try to link back to a blog, I would like to go straight to that person's list of linked blogs, with a nice little summary, top left, under the heading "Contact", of email and web page. You might say it is unnecessary to put "My Web Page", when that page is already listed in the blogger's blogs, below right but that involves scrolling down in many cases and ... well ... you know how rapidly we go from blog to blog, don't you?

And often we can't know which is your primary blog, among all the others. True, it is often the one with the most team members but still - wouldn't it be easier for all just to put the main blog under "Contact"?

These little annoyances can add up after time.

Seems to me we should try to get the navigation working well first but as we can't visit our own blogs, as others do, we often don't know how easy or how difficult that is.

A rapid journey to your blog, which then does not take two years to come up on screen, plus the nice listing of email and web page top left, is a real boon as far as I'm concerned.

10 comments:

  1. James,

    It also means that after the first signing in to make a comment I no longer have to retype my ID as the details are stored for that session.

    Thanks for my first ever link - I hope everyone likes my recommendations:)

    STB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hadn't occurred to me that if I log in via Google/Blogger it only shows my blogger blogs when clicking through and that is all it will ever show. Perhaps I'll look into OpenID.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a blogger ID for five months before I started my blog, just for commenting on my medblog reads.
    Eventually I started the blog to put up an introductory post so that people would know who was commenting. A one-off, but then I was off and running.
    But most surprising I had six comments on my first post since I was already known.

    In my case my main blog has the least contributors but I'll look into putting the web page thing at the top if I can figure out how to do it.

    When I visit my fellow Photo Hunters it annoys me when it is not obvious where the PH post will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I come across the same problems too. I recently realised I was guilty of the same crime, I had my web page rather than my blog listed at the top of my profile page.

    Luckily I changed it a week or so ago ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your web page presumably IS your blog, is it not, Cherie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger in Draft, which you can use, allows an option to put the comments under the post like Wordpress. I have it and like it.

    Like JMB I hate hunting around for the right blog on Blogger. There has to be a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a way, Colin [and incidentally, your new layout is good].

    List your main page as My Web Page in the top left, under Contact. Then it becomes easy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.