Thursday, September 04, 2008

[chrome] shape of things to come... perhaps

Wiki ran this summation of the new Google browser/platform Chrome:

Microsoft reportedly "played down the threat from Chrome" and "predicted that most people will embrace Internet Explorer 8." Opera Software said that "Chrome will strengthen the Web as the biggest application platform in the world."

Mozilla said that Chrome's introduction into the web browser market comes as "no real surprise" and that "Chrome is not aimed at competing with Firefox" — and furthermore should not affect Google's financing of Firefox.

The FT ran this summation of Chrome:

At the time, Microsoft’s claim that its web browser was part of its operating system was self-serving baloney. With the arrival of Chrome, however, it has migrated from being false to being true.

Chrome is not going to replace Windows. A computer requires an operating system such as Windows, Apple’s OS X or Linux to make the machine work. It does, however, have the potential to do what Mr Gates feared: make the choice of operating system less important.

Why use it? Some reviewers say:

1. The first release of Google Chrome does not pass the Acid3 test; however, it scores 78/100, which is higher than both Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.

2. At the end of the day, I'm making the decision to switch to Google Chrome for the same reason that I originally switched to Firefox. The underlying technology and architecture of Chrome is so different from its competition. Chrome has raised the bar and I want to support the team for doing so.

3. Google itself - What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build.
Why not to use it:

Sackerson has just run this, for example.

I have just downloaded Firefox 3 and quite like it. Chrome is not available for Mac as yet so it is a moot issue for me at this time.

I'd be interested to know if you like it after you've tried it.

UPDATE via Wolfie - read here.

10 comments:

  1. James,

    I don't know if this is the first time you have used Firefox but if it is f11 is very good.

    I'm with Obnoxio, let's see what the legalities are first.

    STB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was almost convinced to give it a try yesterday, but after following your link and seeing the ULA that has put me off.

    On my PCS blog I post some copyright material (properly accredited), but I obviously don't have the right to let other people use it without the originators permission.

    Stick with firfox, it is a great browser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firefox 3? Not long ago I downloaded Firefox 4.

    Cherrypie: I remember seeing a fox fur stole...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All very confusing, I'm sitting on the sidelines and waiting. But I did not wait for Firefox 3, upgraded to it on the day they released it, honouring my pledge to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. using FF3 - like it. downloaded Chrome; worked well but copyright issues worrying. Therefore, only using for trial purposes only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the copyright is the issue? Thought there had to be something. ULA rescinded? Still, better to wait perhaps.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.