Saturday, August 09, 2008

[count your blessings] it’ll be worse tomorrow


This photo is of Serbia, not Sicily, hence the greenery. Take out the grass and foliage and throw in half a dozen churches and narrow steps running down the hill and you have the part of town I am staying in.

Let me state right up front that there are some wonderful things here:

1. the friendship of people like Welshcakes and others;
2. a most livable cave I’m staying in where the temperature is about 22 degrees when the outside temperature is about 40 and the wind gusts down one’s throat;
3. a lovely hotel nearby where one can relax.

It’s in this spirit I have to warn the reader that what follows is going to sound like unmitigated bleat. On the other hand, posts like the last two are creating the illusion of an idyll which it is anything but. At the risk of blog friendships, I’d prefer the truth to be known – why, for example, I’ve not answered comments, checked my emails or visited you.

Yesterday evening was a perfect example of cause and effect, illustrating that:

1. it only takes one small detail to go wrong and the ramifications can be extensive;
2. there is a “use by date” for every resource, including, energy, health, money and people’s tolerance of you;
3. with the best will in the world, people just can’t, even if they wished to, understand the cause and effect and real implications of one’s situation plus their own is not too hot either and the longer it continues, the more immune they naturally become to wanting to have anything to do with it, fair enough;
4. in the end, you really are on your own unless you can succeed in garnering help from Above;
5. the only face anyone wishes to see is a bright, cheerful one on the other person, whatever the actual circumstances, which becomes less possible as time takes its toll.

Last evening, I was to be met by a friend in the lower town and taken by car to the far end of the city, where I’d meet up with Welshcakes for a natter, visit fellow bloggers, take care of my site, take care of the current need of my friend in Russia [which I can help with as some form of initial recompense] and assure people all is well.

Bear with this, if you would.

Two afternoons ago, I walked, against advice, the two kilometres from this end of town, down the hillside steps to the river course lower town and then the other three kilometres up the far hill to Welshcakes. The result was the upbeat post about hillside beauty.

The distance was nothing and there was no premium on time, so people’s advice that it was crazy to try that stunt in the afternoon heat did not include the real killer – the traffic fumes in the cauldron of narrow streets of the old town in the river bed. They weren’t to know of any allergy, rhinitis and early bronchitis which meant hanging over railings and losing parts of one’s earlier lunch four or five times along the way.

Every action has an effect and even having allowed that paragraph just now, the justified accusation would be that this post is unmitigated bleat, something normal bloggers would never indulge in, British stiff upper lip being more the order of the day.

Maybe so but I sure as hell wasn’t going to repeat that stunt and made an arrangement that Friday’s trek would be done more intelligently. So there I was in the lower town in the fumes, waiting to be collected and as my lift continued not to appear, the bronchial stuff began.

After half an hour of it, it was up the hill again to get away, keeping to the shadows where it was only about 35 degrees and making it, without incident, to the hotel I know, where the positive sides of cause and effect kicked in:

1. I could buy a lovely cold beer and in Sicily they also serve yummy accompaniments;
2. One of the two ladies I know there, Paula, just happened to be coming to the end of her duty time and let me phone, thank the Lord, as mobile to mobile is apparently the only way to phone, landline somehow causing problems in Sicily;
3. I got to meet the amazingly named chef, Accurso Crapato and saw his cavalier style at first hand, which is why his urging to try his culinary skills is overwhelmingly tempting [but bear in mind the rest of this post] and the moment any good news comes through on the passport I’ll have Welshcakes in there with me and we’ll live it up.

Back to reality – having now used up that phone favour from Paula, I can’t very well go and repeat the dose today without making a pain of myself; it’s something I can’t afford to do as these two friends are my only lifeline at this end of town. So everything is a question of dwindling resources, in the end.

As for being collected earlier, that friend had an issue, apparently and as no one could contact me to tell me, there not being a phone in this place and having no mobile phone which they’ve been urging me to get “to make it easier on all of us”, as another friend urged with a race of annoyance two days ago, not understanding that it does not cost “five euros” as she put it but 87 euros to get set up in this town, out of a total of 500 euros left and wondering why the hell I don’t have a mobile anyway, which necessitates mentioning Russia where all my business was conducted from my landline at one tenth the cost plus the email being my main communication channel and then suddenly I had to leave Russia in May, a mobile being the least of the problems at that time [the main problem being that no overseas money can come in here as it needs an account to send it to which one is not allowed in Italy as a tourist, my friend assures me and my Russian account is not accessible here] but now, as lack of mobile is a difficulty, I’ve promised to get one the moment the passport comes through which would mean I can then deploy resources [which I can’t at this moment as, if it doesn’t come through, I’m going to need every euro possible, which in turn makes me currently look like a sponging freeloader in people’s eyes, which in turn reduces their willingness to be friendly and is so far from the truth, as by nature I am not an ungenerous, mean-spirited person, which in turn depresses me more than I can say and leaves me isolated over this part of town, not knowing if I will be collected on Monday evening or not at the foot of the hill].

So the only thing is to do the up-hill-down-dale walk this evening to post this and let you know why I have not been visiting your sites or answering my post comments and generally making people less inclined to visit this site to find out anyway, as you have your own problems at that end and I shan’t be able to reply, as it is, until Monday evening at the earliest, which in turn is more depressing because blogging is what I love doing and there’s a heap of new material to post on. Plus I can only use the internet a limited amount of times out of deference to the friend, despite her saying I could use it as I wished and that is exacerbated by a second friend telling me I should not use it as she’d feel uncomfortable, herself, doing it and I assured her I would never willingly use another person’s resources except sparingly.

Someone asked on the phone two days ago why I don’t use the bus to the far end of town.

I agree, except for one thing. The buses are not running in the late afternoon when my friend is available to see me over there and having waited around in the morning, they are also not running, except on the driver’s whim [which non-Italians will wryly smile at, considering this stretching the truth, which they would not smile at if they actually lived here and that’s why a motorbike is currently being lined up but that’s another story] the reason being that we are coming up to the national holiday on the 15th, when everything shuts down but the Italians tend to shut down one week either side of that and go to the beach which is where I’d go too if I had any sense, any money and somewhere to stay but I’m not complaining about that.

As it is, the cave I’m in is excellent, cool and relaxing as I write this in the recliner chair and would that it could continue for some weeks except that there’d be no friends at all left if it did. There’s a young man living in this labyrinth who is a cheery soul – works for a bank, has lots of friends but finds this place depressing as it is so dark and lonely and he, as a typical Italian, enjoys big company and “lots of light” as he puts it.

Each to his own, I suppose. When I mentioned that this place was great on a hot day of 40 plus, his olive skin showed that that was no problem for him but what he dreads is the cold and I imagine this place would be chilly in winter.

“Doesn’t that worry you?” he asks, incredulously.

“Don’t forget I’ve come from Russia.”

“Ah,” he nods. “Everything’s relative, isn’t it?”

That’s the last depressing post I plan to write for now as it is … well … depressing and to maintain mental health and everyone else’s remaining goodwill, it will be necessary to return to the “don’t worry – be happy” style of the previous posts and assure you the next will be upbeat.

Have a lovely weekend, as I intend to have a ball.

Yes.

20 comments:

  1. James, if you get right up against it, get in touch, we could do something via Welshcakes perhaps.

    Sorry to hear about the breathing problem, must be a bit scary for you sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs too. Hoping for an early end to this stressful situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when one feels down they assume that they are an inconvenience to everyone, which is usually not the case.
    I have no doubt you are well loved there,as much as you are in this corner of the world.
    Must blogging always be uplifting to keep readership?
    I think not. Only real. I have always loved hearing about your real life on your blog.
    Poor James, you make me want to cuddle you and fix all your problems.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really having a bad time at the moment. James, please blog as you feel. Forget the stiff upper lip nonsense. I do hope your problems are sorted out soon, and that your passport arrives as fast as it can. Thinking about you. Take care. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's good to have a friend who would not speak much but ... just listen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bearing in mind my readership and the emo like drivel I tend to inflict upon the world, I think I can safely say that not all your posts have to be upbeat to maintain readers. Indeed, I feel anyway, that you are always to right from the heart because at least that way it's honest and it is that honesty with yourself that will keep your readers, not a forced joviality.

    It'll all work out in the end James, they always do.

    Peace out xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let it all hang out - you'll be better for it, honestly.
    Don't worry about replies, just want you to know we think about you and your problems and wish we could do more than yatter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever you write about, as long as it is real is fine. No need for stiff upper lip fee good stuff. We have commercial television for that guff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you and hope all turns out well soon... x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cave sounds idyllic!

    Hope the passport stuff is sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit confused... but I hope it improves for you, James.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like Ruthie I'm confused- but I'm just back from holiday so might be being affected by that :) Anyways bon chance old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you could just get more into the spirit of things and pretend to be a monk living in a cave - like one of the Desert Fathers. The banker guy could be your disciple and together you could have a ball. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only one shot at this while the girl waits to drive me back - thanks, dear friends. More on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believe me James I understand exactly how you feel as I've been in very similar shoes myself in a foreign country. I was much younger then so it cut two ways, I didn't have so much life experience to sort myself out quickly but on the other hand I had my youthful good-looks to garner support from every young woman in town.

    You'll come out on top in the end I'm sure, but good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope things sort out to your advantage James. As with others don't worry about the stiff upper lip... let it be known and your true friends will rally round as they can.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cherei, Sackers, èhaven't forgotten+, JMB, Anon, Dragonstar, Sean, Bunny, Aileni, Colin, Sally, Jeremy, Liz, Ruthie, Tiberius, Ken, Julie, Wolfie, Jams - I've read every word and taken great comfort.

    When I get back into it all, my blogfriends are going to assume even greater importance to me - thanks for all of it, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a little behind on reading my favourite blogs, so I've just read this tonight. I'm sure you will pull through this situation you find yourself in. I know this sounds like a cliche, but I know you will be a stronger person as a result. Take care, friend. Hopefully we will meet up sooner, rather than later.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.