Saturday, August 02, 2008

[bits and pieces] while it is still possible


Trouble in the blogosphere

There does seem to be something going on. Today I could not access Sicily Scene [perhaps it's not a problem for you]. JMB had troubles yesterday with posting. There were troubles with accessing Bloghounds some days ago.

Entirely conceivable that the problems could be local server issues or even the computers themselves. There has been an increase in blogs coming up as potential spam also, so it seems. One to keep our eyes on.

The sphere itself appears to be under assault, doesn't it? Look at China for a start but the U.S. is going in for this big time as well. If you were a betting person, how long would you say independent opinion on the web can exist for? One month, one year, one decade?

Trouble in your sphere

I really dislike how some people go in for the Four Yorshiremen Syndrome and feel obliged to respond: "You think you have troubles. You're in paradise, my son. Oh what I wouldn't give to be in your position. Now, as for me, I really do have problems," as if it were some kind of competition.

We can't assume anything about how genuinely bad other people's circumstances are. I happen to know of some fellow bloggers' current woes and though they're different in nature, they're no less debilitating in their own way. I'd not like to be in their shoes and wouldn't swap mine.

What can we do? Help can only go so far, though we'd wish to help indefinitely. If I ever get to find some sort of peace and stability myself, one of the first things I'll do is try to repay the many kindnesses.

Trouble in my sphere

My N1 difficulty is apparent statelessness and so Monday, on current reckoning, will be the last day I can reliably post on my site. I've been able to keep the blog going since late May only through the good grace of Welshcakes, for whom it has been a real imposition, despite her never once complaining and to her go eternal thanks.

A quantum shift in my status sometime next week will bring the current phase to an end and if posts appear, then they will have been due to good luck but at the same time can't be relied on to continue. There is a point soon when they will stop altogether, possibly to reappear a week or so later, possibly not.


Government bodies

Much is written of DEFRA, the NHS and so on but I'd like to mention the FCO. One can only report as one finds and whatever the outcome of negotiations with this body, possibly not to my liking, possibly a blessed relief, I have to say that they have been courteous and helpful to a fault and should take a bow. Our diplomatic missions in other countries really are a pleasure to have to deal with.

Sicilian friendliness

I'm not in a position to judge the Milanese or Florentines but I can report that the people of the deep south here are rather special. It's just been one friendly face after another and my time would have been even more of a pleasure, had the official difficulties not pressed down so on the brain.

The scenery, the panorama and sweeping vistas are a sight for sore eyes and the dusky landscape burns itself into your psyche after a time.

Small pleasures

Today, we'll go down the hill to the Consorzio for our regular Saturday repast. We printed out the post Welshcakes did on the staff and she'll present it to them - the last opportunity before their own hiatus-vacanza. It will be hot out there today, if yesterday is anything to go by - it was 38 degrees - but the olive tree is a boon.

The whole town closes down next week and those who have not already left town for the country will most likely do so.

Readers of this blog

Have as good a summer's end as you can under your current circumstances and I do mean it sincerely. I'll post when I can.

22 comments:

  1. Can't get onto my own, nor Sitemeter. Is it related to a) Sitemeter, b) spam, c) Chinese electronic warfare, d) no more shillings in the meter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, sorry to hear of the passport difficulties (I assume); you have my email.

    As to the blogosphere: time to buy a small printing press? Perhaps also time to have a hard copy of everything on your computer, before the Great Disconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sackers, about to sign off and thanks. Will mail you today if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bug in Sitemeter:

    http://www.redstate.com/diaries/redstate/2008/aug/01/if-your-blog-is-not-loading-in-internet-explo/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't access Welshcakes, Tuscan Tony, and the Pedalogue, to date!
    What is going on ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gobsmacked, James. Can't get my head around your difficulties though, I suppose, were we in only in slightly slightly different circs here... well.
    I haven't had a passport since my Cyprus days.
    All the best and hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get on my blog. I feel my oxygen has been cut off.

    Ah, I've read Sackerson's comment. Sitemeter is to blame.

    Hope all goes well for you, James.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not au fait with your problems James, but my good wishes are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck and may your God go with you this summer your Lordship...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I downloaded Firefox and hey presto! All is well. For me and my site anyway. If only all your problems could be solved so easily, james.

    ReplyDelete
  11. why are you stateless? surely anyone can get a passport. I'm a bit confused about your difficulties but send you best wishes...........regular reader of your blogx

    ReplyDelete
  12. you guys wouldn't have this problem if you'd stop using IE :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read the other day on VDARE how two guys from England landed at LAX, hoping to get political asylum. Apparently they held pretty extreme views and wrote about them on the 'net and were convicted of inciting racial hatred. Granted I don't hold their views but I think it's ridiculous to be charging them of just saying what they think. I hope you get the server squared away James. I'm well, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We look forward to hearng from you asap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with sorting out your problems James. It has been a terrible time for you I'm sure and hopefully it will be resolved soon.
    I am using IE today, just to check, but I am having no problems so far, not even with the blogs mentioned.

    I have been allowed back into my blog thank goodness but it was a heartstopping moment as they were threatening to delete my blog, blah,blah.

    My best wishes as usual James. Have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  16. James

    You know that I wish you all the best. I just wish that I could do something / anything to help.

    Thinking of you.

    Email if you want anything ... really

    Calum

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having unrelated blog-o-troubles myself, wordpress is not invincible either but spending my Sunday fiddling with the thing is not my idea of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. surely anyone can get a passport

    Er ... no. Not that simple, Anon.

    Sackers, Trubes, Aileni, Liz, Dragonstar, Mutley, Cherie, Nazh, Matt, Uber, JMB Calum, Wolfie - thanks for that interesting read, folks.

    Back asap.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thinking of you much more often than I'd be commenting. :)
    Take care, James, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I add my best wishes also, James - hope things work out better than you can hope. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.