Thursday, July 10, 2008

[self promotion] how to lose readers fast

Routes of the internet, according to Wiki


This post is for the inexperienced blogger. All the rest of you, forgive it please.

There's a lady who is doing the rounds of our part of the sphere and though she means well, she is doing wrong. I am not guoiltless myself of having done this from time to time but I try not to as far as possible.

In short, this lady is going to people's blogposts and commenting along the lines of "Please visit my site." There are a number of things wrong with this and it shows her inexperience as a blogger.

1. It is against generally accepted blog etiquette to go round actively promoting yourself.

2. It has a negative effect on those who visit and more will decide not to go to that "newbie" site than will decide to go there. There's a bloodymindedness factor here.

3. There are alternatives:

a. Your name itself in most comments is a hyperlink and so if you have written a witty or pertinent comment, people are likely, in their own time and way, to wander over to you and see what you have. If you push them or appear to be trying to, they'll be irritated.

b. If you were to actually read that blogger's post and get into the discussion on it [the thing almost all of us want], then put a link to his-her post inside your own post on the issue, you've helped him-her and helped yourself through the backlink system.

Many blogs have the system that if you link to someone's post, it shows up in that comments section and other bloggers see it and might click on your own post link displayed there.

That is the way to go.

c. The only other way is the hard grind - get round to other sites and show an interest. Only then will they come to yours. To keep them coming to yours, you have to write interesting posts on a regular basis. There's no other way out of it.

For an interesting article on the blogosphere and MSM, Ian Appleby has this piece, hat tip Tiberius.

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely! A proper comment is always welcome - particularly one telling me how wonderful I am ;) - but one saying nothing but "come here" gets ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound advice, James, and I'm much obliged for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true ! And I would also add that behind the scenes conduct is important, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I get the "Nice site. Come and visit mine", I simply delete it as the spam which it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visit those who come to mine and others I see at their sites , like a variety of subjects and blogging styles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when people do that!

    Following on from Jhl's point of them being spam. I have had a couple of comments on my PCS page that when you went to the blog it looked quite legitimate. A blog about a single issue that had posts going back some time. But on closer inspection at the bottom of the page there were lots of spammy links to dubious sites. So watch out for those too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't everybodies blog an exercise in self promotion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree to all - and explicitely to what Anonymous interspersed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unless they look as if they are definitely spam I always go look at these guys too...you never know, they might be ace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post.

    Come and see mine.

    You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol Cherie, I seen the comment left on your last post, the first one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Colin ... :)

    Commenters all - interesting following your minds here and thanks. :)

    [I'm using up my quota of smiles today.]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must confess, that, as I only write a lttle yarn about once a month I do tell my blogging chums that I have written a new piece. Purely just to let them know that I'm still writing. Didn't realize that there were any hard fast rules in blogging. I see it as a means of sharing my life experiences with other people. A bit like having Pen Friends!
    It is so good to get comments from people......You've set me thinking......Hmmm.... Am I that lady....I do hope not......Self promotion was never my intention.... Just a little conversation via the Blogosphere with like-minded souls.
    I used to do a lot of political blogging but had a fair bit of abuse from several NuLab trolls so reluctanly gave it up!

    Di.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.