Wednesday, July 02, 2008

[sarko's all right] three reasons why

There are three reasons why, despite some political decisions, Sarko is all right in my book.

Firstly:

Footage of French President Nicolas Sarkozy expressing irritation at a TV technician ahead of an interview has become an instant internet success. The video shows the employee clipping a microphone to Mr Sarkozy's tie, and not responding to a presidential "hello".

"It's a question of manners," Mr Sarkozy is heard muttering. "When you're invited, you're entitled to have people say 'hello' to you".

Mr Sarkozy has been caught several times in off-the-record videos posted on the web. One of them showed him at a farm show in February, swearing at a member of the public who refused to shake his hand.

Fair enough. And this too. Anyone Mandelson attacks has to be good in my book:


On BBC's Newsnight programme, Mr Mandelson attacked Mr Sarkozy in a row over a World Trade Organisation deal that would cut subsidies to French farmers.

"I am being undermined and Europe's negotiating position in the World Trade talks is being weakened and I regret that," said Mr Mandelson. "It's very disappointing because the mandate on which I'm negotiating…has been agreed by all the member states."


The third reason is to the left here. She's Italian, he was daring in taking on another tall woman and it seems to have annoyed so many people. I do wonder about their clinches sometimes and then manage to put it out of mind.

He's a larger than life figure [though perhaps not so large in life]and heaven knows the world needs more of those just now.

6 comments:

  1. I am a Sarko fan.
    Call him old fashioned but I was brought up to say hello and goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eurodog - I knew there was someone I had to blogroll. Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that it would be nice to witness a revival of so-called secondary virtues.
    However, Monsieur Sarkozy has not been elected for vehemently demanding courtesy from those approaching him, has he?
    Ah, well, when having no primary virtues, (demanding )secondary ones (from others) might be enough to become Monsieur Président, in these times.

    Along with a friendly smile bidding the time ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope he has the guts of Thatcher and take on the unions and win.

    I was talking to a shadow minister in Crewe a few weeks ago and I asked him when Sarkozy addressed parliament, was he there to listen to M. President, or was he there to get a glimpse of his wife? All I got back was a smile!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.