Wednesday, July 02, 2008

[dillow logic] economic reasons women are crap


Flipchart Fair Tales takes the esteemed Chris Dillow to task for his Times affected article on his blog:

Since he got a regular column with the Times, Chris Dillow’s blog articles have become increasingly outlandish. His recent piece on why women are crap is a case in point.

However, although his arguments, if that’s what you can call them, are silly, they are no worse than some of the rubbish that apparently respectable columnists write about men.

Those all-men-are-hopeless articles have been around for at least the past twenty years. Some of the bullshit has been repeated so often that it has become ’stuff everyone knows’.


Chris answers, using that particular logic he's famous for:

My motivation for writing it was in my question: “am I a victim of selection effects?” and in the fact that a couple of earlier posts had discussed selection effects.

Let’s grant that my arguments are silly. Doesn’t this show that even huge samples - women I’ve met in the last 20 years - can be systematically biased, if they are drawn from non-random sources.

This being so, shouldn’t we be much less confident than we are about drawing inferences from personal experience - even a lot of it? The post was not about women, but about the nature of knowledge - a point everyone seems to have missed.

And yes, some of my posts might seem silly. But this is because I occasionally (often?) err on the side of silliness, to undermine notions of judgment, credibility and expertise.


My brain hurts.

8 comments:

  1. Yes I like that. I understand where he is coming from, especially the last sentence, lol.

    And this is woebegone wednesday. Where's your doom and gloom post? Or am I reading your idea too literally? lolol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a related note, several months back I was browsing the Internet and found a question by some guy that had obviously had his heart broekn in some way. He was searching for answers:

    "Q. Why do women complain about guys who treat them like trash....more?
    Yet, they stay with the guy, even though they say they wish that they could find a really nice guy???? Why do they stay with losers who treat them like garbage???


    A. Because girls like being treated like trash. Next time you see a girl you like, try spitting on her."


    That answer was given purely tongue in cheek, and I couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, isn't journalism - well, and blogging - the art of filling the space? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too true, lads. Where are the girls today on this topic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this one was busy busy busy... but I think the title may have put the others off ;-)

    However the comments to the original article made me laugh :-0

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a later comment Chris tells me that he's against credibility and doesn't want to be taken seriously. Not sure I believe him though

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.