Sunday, June 15, 2008

[post-stupour blogging] of elections, missed buses and exams


All right, I admit it - I was asleep when the door buzzer went and 'they' came for Welshcakes to take her voting.

It's Sunday, about 4 in the afternoon and I've just been experimenting with the concept of 'siesta' for real. Tried to go through books of picture postcards but was a bit too heavy-eyed after the prosciutto lunch and well ... you understand. Welshcakes also had it in mind to do a bit of siestering but the little question of having to go out to vote precluded that.

By the way, there were some sticks of grissini and that was going to be sufficient, wasn't it? Not a bit of it. Welshcakes wrapped them in basil leaves and prosciutto - then they were ready.

I'm completely lazy. Not completely. Earlier today [10 a.m.] I went down the hill to the lower town to see a Russian friend who had just seen off her Russian friends and we ambled along to the bus stop which is situated at the end of a long 'Y' shaped road, which was once two mighty torrents of river.

I'm not explaining well. The whole of the lower town is in a valley, with the ancient buildings clinging to it either side. Picturesque just isn't a sufficiently apt word. Well, at the end of this were two forlorn ladies who'd missed the bus because unbeknowns to them - it's both Sunday and election day today, which brings me back to Welshcakes who has just been taken away to vote.

No doubt she'll blog on that later. I plan to take Welshcakes down the road for a late supper at the Consorting Cafe [don't get the wrong idea] and I promised to change the lightbulb and I'll do the vacuuming tomorrow morning - not sufficient recompense for her kind taking-in of this irrascible blogger in his hour of need but I'll think of something.

So there it is, dear reader. We're getting our energy levels up as best we can for the big day tomorrow - exam day for her school all day Monday. I presume the examiner will be from the British Council.

My Russian friends, meanwhile, are visiting another town and I'll catch up with them tomorrow as well. Now I eagerly await Welshcakes return, in her light blue splendour, from her exciting dip into Sicilian political culture.

Being stateless myself, I'll mix her a light refreshment and enjoy her tales of derring-do . Oh and it's now 37 degrees C.

8 comments:

  1. Nice picture, but first time I looked at it I thought she had white legs and pink pop-socks!

    As for still being in Sicily, wish I was. Don't be in a hurry, James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to a bit of consorting, Jamesie!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I can quite understand the Siesta idea. I visited my brother today and there was a settee full sleeping folks including me ;-)

    37 degrees C is definitely siesta inducing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and it's now 37 degrees C.

    Yes well that is the downside of Sicily, even in June when I was there. I seem to acquire a heat rash on my legs which requires copious slatherings of hydrocortisone cream when I am there and in the northern parts as well. Chissà perché.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely hot weather, better weather than that where a brass monkey would suffer LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne - yes indeed.

    Sackers - pink pop-ups?

    Welshcakes - shhhh!

    Cherie - 40 today.

    JMB, Nunyaa - needs to be come to terms with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a minute there I thought you were talking about my age ;-)

    At 40 degrees my feet would be swelling up for sure and I would be in need of that siesta!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.