Monday, June 02, 2008

[monday quiz] tough one this


Ragusa, courtesy Italy Visits


1. Cicero described Siracusa as the greatest and most beautiful city of all Ancient Greece - on which island is it situated?

2. After the
Expedition of the Thousand led by Giuseppe Garibaldi, which island became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1860 as part of the risorgimento
?

3. The island which owes its reputation as an isle of lemons to the Arabs is ...?

4. The seven Aeolian islands are near to which large Italian island?

5. The 1959 nobel prizewinner for literature, Salvatore Quasimodo, came from which island?


Answers
Sicily

7 comments:

  1. My favourite place in Italy, of course.
    I do envy you James and although you did not intend to leave Russia you have landed in a pretty wonderful place, despite continuing the water problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. And there was me thinking Quasimodo was French.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salvatore Quasimodo was born here in Modica and his house is now a museum of his life and work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm Something tells me that the island in question is not South Uist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so envious, I really want to go to Sicily! It's my ex's birthplace, because he's so tall with green eyes he is said to be 'a sparta' BG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherry - indeed.

    JMB - indeed.

    Bag - hmmm.

    Welshcakes - infatti.

    Jams - damn, I thougfht I had you fooled.

    Bendy Girl - do you have to be tall with blue eyes to go to Sicily? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.