Friday, April 04, 2008

[phonetic dictionary] first offerings

Long, long ago I tried this with readers but it went down like a lead balloon. Think I'll try again. If it's popular, there are plenty more of them waiting to post.

The idea is that it is a phonetic dictionary and so the definitions do not accord with the meanng of the words but with the parts of the words, as sounded. Try these:


6 Antelope................Absconding insect

8 Badinage................Memory, sex, teeth

11 Canteloupe...........Chaperoned

13 Carrion......................Continue

16 Condescending..........Greek Paratrooper

18.Divest........................Princess's garment

23 Felonious..................Monk

36 Ideal..........................You shuffle

63 Scintillate..................Nocturnal orgy

68 Surcingle...................Unmarried baronet

One reader has just asked about this post and so I'd best take one of them and dissect it. Antelope - OK, it's an animal. But ant [the pictured insect] ... and he elopes with his girlfriend ... well, the image tickles the fancy. Same with "sin till late". [Chuckle - well I like them anyway.]

11 comments:

  1. SCINTILLATE
    Now I've outlived my youthfulness,
    A quiet life for me.
    Where once I used to scintillate,
    Now I sin till ten past three.

    By Roger Mcgough

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8.Bad in age.
    11. Can't elope.
    13. Carry on
    16. Con descending.
    18. Di- vest
    36 I deal
    68 Sir single

    DO I get a prize?
    Great game, James. More, more, more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canteloupe - love it! What about morphemes ....... Music CD?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great: well done James. I'm just trying to thing of something....

    I'll come back if an idea comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, but I think condescending is stretching it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz - :)

    Uber - well, well and welcome :)

    1st Lady - that's a good one too

    Lady M - thank you, gracious lady

    Tiberius - the honour is mine

    JMB - you should see some of the others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Magnificent, say I, and my old friend Leonard O'Davinci is nodding.

    As for my favouite: I am, of course, with Lady Limoncello.

    And the verses contributed by Liz gave me another big smile.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.