Thursday, March 06, 2008

[pondering] angel or female assassin?

For Nunyaa - to feel good on a Friday

Coincidence. Yesterday a few things happened. The first was a visit to this site by an Indonesian, Santi W, who speaks English but blogs in Bahasa.

It's a most unusual blog and beautifully laid out. I urge you to visit her and look around the site. Naturally, I visited and vice versa and she wrote:

I watch the sea in the night. It feels like you're alone and it scares you to death, but then you realized that you're addicted to it.

I imagine that scene in Indonesia and say to her:

Hari ini hari terbaik pernah!

She continued her comment:

I noticed that you wrote a great novel. And that one of the character is the Indonesian lady you met on the flight? Did she tells you interesting things about Indonesia?

Well .. er .. yes .. she did. That was a most interesting flight but the character, Frederika, using her real name and who was studying in London, went in to the book as a female assassin. Here's a little fragment where the man she tried to kill momentarily turns the tables on her in 1997 [before security procedures came in] and forces her onto the Greenwich to London ferry where he tries to disarm her:

‘My business. Now give me your handbag.’


‘Do gentlemen do that?’ She gazed at him and passed the bag across. He rummaged around inside; just the usual women’s stuff. ‘Definitely not a gentleman.’

Then he spotted it, not in her handbag at all but under her loose T shirt, poked into her jeans. ‘Take it out of your jeans, put it into the handbag and don’t insult my intelligence.’

She complied and he noticed the slightest softness to her tummy. Perhaps she wasn’t all that hard after all. Perhaps she liked her pastries a little too much.

‘Now give me the bag.’

She complied again. Too easy, too easy, Hugh thought. She’d given up her gun just like that. Next thing he’d flung the handbag out of the open window, just as the boat was coming into dock at Tower Bridge. ‘Oh wonderful, Hugh, thank you so much. All my cards, all my money and my mother’s photo were in there.’

‘There was no photo and no purse.’

She’d now tired of the game. She sighed. ‘Hugh, you put a ridiculous replica into my waist, pretending it was loaded. I went along for the ride but now I have to tell you, darling, what you must already realize - you’re not long for this world. I really liked you – I really did.’

Sketch made from a photo of the Indonesian girl

Stay with it, people - I am coming to the point. Yesterday I met someone quite special - this is back to "real" life now - and wrote a maudlin post last night around midnight - here it is condensed:

This is pretty personal and I'm going to take a leaf out of Ruthie's book and do a post. It might make things clearer to see it in print.

Met someone today who is as close to right as I'm likely to find and this has thrown your humble correspondent into a tizz. On paper, given that it might be a chance and it seemed so today, then what happens when she finds out things which my regular readers know already?

I mean, look at those tramvai posts.

She loves walking in the forest, which I love and there were many bases covered. I'm sure the thought might have flitted across her mind too this evening but it's possible she's already concluded in the negative, which is more in line with what I'd expect.

There are just so many barriers and now it's 01:00 and I have to get some sleep.

That's what I did and then this morning checked the comments and there was one from the Jailhouse Lawyer:

Don't want to put you on a downer but...

Check this out before you make your next move

Here's a fragment from John's referral:

But what happens if your new girlfriend has a much darker and more sinister secret than having slept around a bit?

Sitting naked on the edge of the bed in a cheap, sweltering hotel room in the heart of a war-torn, drug-producing region of Colombia, I lit a cigarette and listened as the girl I had just made love with told me a secret dark enough to shake anyone from their postcoital bliss.

She then hit me with a confession that would both thrill and confuse me. She explained that in the months that I had been away in Iraq her role within the AUC had changed; she had joined the urban militia and become an assassin. Her job was now to eliminate informers and traitors.

So far, she told me, she had killed at least 10 people in the area. I lit a cigarette and inhaled deeply, Marylin looked at me through the smoke as I exhaled, waiting to see how I would respond to what she had just told me.

How uncanny is that?

Er ... think I might have to change Frederika - judging by Santi W's blog, they're pretty gentle people out that way. While learning Bahasa, in the meantime, I'll just have to rely on this, which might help you too if you get over her way.

So now it's time to get over to Oestrebunny, the exotic Scot:

Too lost in it all to see what's amiss, she'd risk her whole life for that - one - sweet - kiss. But that one sweet kiss is never enough.

You're right and it applies the other way too. So, with Women's Day tomorrow and the 14 Russian girls at 17:00 today, followed by the Pyramid, I'm off to descend into the maelstrom. Snow's everywhere in the air out there.

I'll report this evening if I'm still alive.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds too good not to take a chance.....you may regret it if you dont. look what happened to me when i took that chance !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if it is meant to be it will work out so I am with Sally you need to take a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for that walk in the forest with her and move on from there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - that's wonderful and I'm putting it in the post now.

    The funny thing is that I am currently making friends with an Indonesian girl [see Beatles' post] and she refers to aq girl I met and fell for who then went into my book as ... wait for it ...

    a female assassin!

    Sally, Cherie, 1st Lady - the girls' advice is always carefully studied. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should hardly think myself as exotic James....do you think she's interested in you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good question - time will tell. Maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, the posted photo is very similar to what is out my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lot of happenings in your love life since Xmas, James! I can harly keep up! For god's sake, TELL the woman!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.