Monday, March 24, 2008

One Way to Ruin a Great Song

First of all, happy Easter everyone! I just got back to Madrid last night.

It´s no secret I like Mecano. They´re songs are very good, albeit old. They´re from the ´80s. Saying that they are old makes me feel old, although it´s somewhat true!

They seem to have commited the same error that every band does: make a great song and then make the weirdest video to accompany it.
Take this example from El 7 de sepetiembre (September 7th):




To me this video doesn´t resemeble the song at all. The video looks like a cross of the movie version of 1984 (of which I´ve seen little, the book is better (I´ve only read the book)), old Communist propaganda, and I don´t what else. Basically it ruins the song because every time you listen to it, you´ll think of this weird video (instead of a good song).

Here are the lyrics in Spanish.

Here´s a rough translation I did for you all:

It´s hard to believe after so much time that we still maintain the illusion of our broken bonds on our anniversary. The same little table that has seen our hands tied down takes care of the corner that always is "permanently reserved".

Even though the story is over, there´s something alive in this love and even though it compels it to be blow away, there are flames that aren´t in even in the sea.

The flowers of May bit by bit yield to the feet of the rooster and we´ll look with our eyes to see if there´s something left over.

September 7th is our anniversary and we don´t know if we´ll kiss each other on the face or on the lips.

Even though the story is over, there´s something alive in this love and even though it compels it to be blow away, there are flames that aren´t in even in the sea.

September 7th is our anniversary, our anniversary...

3 comments:

  1. It´s no secret I like Mecano. They´re songs are very good, albeit old. They´re from the ´80s. Saying that they are old makes me feel old, although it´s somewhat true!

    It´s no secret I like Spain. My memories are very good, albeit they’re old. They´re from the ´80s. Saying that they are old makes me feel old, although it´s somewhat true!


    That’s all I have to say about Mecano!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Selena and welcome. Did you read my comment on you then at Bryan's place? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. D,
    Haha!!! That was great! Actually, I´m back at the locutorio for a moment, uploading photos and listening to Mecano. A Spaniard friend made me an MP3 CD with their entire discography, more or less. If you want to, I´d be really interested to hear about your experiences here back in the ´80s!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.