Monday, March 10, 2008

[from indonesia with love part 1] women of the archipelago

Modern Jakarta

The enigmatic Santi W [25] blogs from Jakarta and writes equally well in Bahasa or in English. I noticed she'd written on Feminism and ... ya iyalah ... I saw my name mentioned:
... sampai tentang Feminism - James ... Bahkan berniat untuk mencintai satu pria nantinya (ya iyalah).
... so I asked her to write a piece in English about women in Indonesia, maybe even Jakarta. Those bloggers out there have got quite a thing going, just as we have with our blogrolls and so on. How they take to an Englishman descending on them I'll have to find out.

In the light of recent comments here, particularly from North America, I think some of you aren't going to like the sentiments expressed in this post but you can be sure it's firsthand. Maybe you'll have questions for her and I'll ask her if she'll drop in and answer them. Here's her post:


There was a revolution in Indonesia regarding the equality of men and women. The equality of education, to be exact.


We (women in Indonesia) used to stay at home and were not allowed to study as much as men. This happened a long time ago, before Kartini published her story (about the situation in Indonesia) in the international (Dutch) media. And things were different ever since.

However, I rarely hear the news about gender issues in Indonesia.

It's probably because in our culture, a woman has her own obligation that is different to a man's.
For instance, when an Indonesian woman gets married, she's obligated to take care the family, or in other words, to be a mother and a wife.

That should be her main priority in life. To work in the office and pursue a career is nonsense if the husband disapproved.


The husband also has his obligation, to support the financial and other tasks, or in other words to be a husband and a father. This system seemed to work in our country as we believe that a man is made to be a leader in a family.


However, a wife's role is the key to the happiness in the family.

The cooperation on both sides is crucial and both roles need to be placed on the right side. Otherwise, you can't have a balance in life.
Knowing our self's capability is pretty important.

Do not underestimate the woman as women were made for men. Also, don't underestimate men as they were made to protect.


Santi


Part 2 is tomorrow, if I get permission to print it and it goes a whole lot further than this. I've read the translation and it's probably worth checking out.

7 comments:

  1. yes..a lot woman in Indonesia when they got maried, they husband didn't give permission to let them work.

    for me this is wrong opinion...Thats will make them very bored and also cann't developed their ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed Febra. How true.

    I do hope that Part 2 will include the situation in Indonesia for women who never married or are widowed with children or perhaps deserted by their husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Febra - you wrote about this at Santi's site.

    Febra - anda menulis di sekitar ini di tempat Santi.

    JMB - it's not a bad second post. She's very honest.

    I'm so pleased you both commented - I was worried I'd scared people away with my aggression today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't worry james..i agree with all of your story in your blog. I laki that and that's true.

    maybe I can write for you some situation what i found in Yogyakarta. There are many reason why a lot husband didn't give permission to their wife for working. I hope I can send to your email asap.

    yes, i am..me and santi have a good friendship. eventough, we never met directly. Only via YM and blog and once time by phone, we talk together. I believe her and also she believe me. We share everything about the meaning of life.

    nice to know you james :)

    PS : am I raght that your name is james?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - it would be good to hear. My e-mail is on the profile but ask Santi for the other mail.

    She's a good girl and lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. О'кейо, я спрошу ей и пожалуйста жду мой email

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to hear the story from Febra too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.