Tuesday, December 18, 2007

[moving violation] written in the psalms

Today's cautionary tale:

A poor priest has been ordered to recite Psalms daily for three months as "punishment" for being unable to pay a parking fine. Father Jose Conejo told Chilean judge Manuel Perez he could not pay the $A116 fine. "He will have to recite seven Psalms from a book in the Old Testament," Perez said.

Here are some suggestions for psalms he could cite:
Psalm 32 1: Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

Psalm 51 16: For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. 17: The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Psalm 111 7: The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. 8: They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
So, with your next "moving violation" [somehow sounds better than "traffic offence"], get out the dog collar and bib, whip it on over your tie, slip on the porto-cassock then, when they pull you over, mumble: "Bless you, my son," make a few humble hand gestures and quote the above.

That should do the trick. But whatever you do, don't say I put you up to it.

6 comments:

  1. Shouldn't he be reciting the Psalms regularly anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Psalm 6 (here in the KJV):

    1 O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.

    2 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed.

    3 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?

    4 Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake.

    5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

    6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.

    7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies.

    8 Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping.

    9 The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer.

    10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think a priest would not consider reciting the psalms a punishment either. Actually I thought they used to be given a warning and let off. Times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are other questions too - what's a priest doing speeding or illegally parking anyway? Or alternatively, what sort of laaws make it easy for an innocent to transgress?

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.