Monday, December 03, 2007

[hawaii] calling russia

Now is this weird or is this weird? A New Englander, possibly to avoid leaf-peepers, settled at Maui and is writing of boogie-boarding:
"I don't see fins on you guys. Things in the water have fins. Things in the sky have wings."

Fortunately, in spite of his shamanic sense of metaphor, the know-it-all smartass in me was able to keep quiet, so we weren't kicked off the beach all together. Still, he was right. Even with a decent boogie board, it is tricky as hell to effectively move out there once you get past the white water... and ironically, with 5-15 foot waves, the white water is the part that frikkin' kicks your ass the most! So, I guess today's lesson is: If you're a crazy a-hole who likes to go boogie boarding in the rain, be sure to wear some fins.
So he's talking maybe 80 degrees, Fahrenheit, right? OK, so let me tell you that we're under snowdrifts here and it's minus 14 degrees just now and the sun went down an hour ago. What a world.

Possibly last post for the evening, people, Have to ease back into it, like.

4 comments:

  1. Err- what's a boogie board? I can't imagine what - 14 would be like. I have to have the heating on as soon as it goes below 20 C here. Buona serata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Welshcakes- a boogie board- what is it.

    Well England is dark and cold at the moment nad I have a cold though I suspect its warmer than Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we've got snow here too amazingly enough but it's not minus 14 thank heaven. It's a pretty ugly climate in that part of the world, winterwise anyway. As I recall you complained about the summer too. So I'm sure the year round temperate climate of Hawaii must sound pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...snowdrifts ...minus 14 degrees.."

    Stop teasing me! It's dark here at 1730 hours, but no snow:-(

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.