Friday, October 26, 2007

[blogfocus friday] alanders, edwardians, pollies and books

1. The Croydonian highlights the plight of the Alanders:
And this is where the Alanders have a problem. Quite a big one, actually, as the EU is intent on levying a fine for this wickedness, and "Åland and Finland have an agreement according to which Åland pays its own EU fines".

So €2m, and counting, is not an insignificant sum, and works out at about €75 per head. But how is the EU going to get its greasy mitts on the money, I wonder?
2. Charles Robertson, in Jersey, makes a second appearance with his thoughts on Politics and Special Interests:
The problem is that politicians have too much power and influence to sell. Reduce their power and you reduce their ability to favour special interests. No, this is not an argument for anarchy, simply limited government: limiting it to those things that we really need it for.

When we let government do things that can be done as well or better by other mechanisms, then it is simply an invitation for groups with vested interests to try and influence the rules to their, and not our, favour.
3. Mutterings and Meanderings is so knowledgeable on Edwardian ladies and you should be too:
Edwardian ladies had much smaller fingers than me. I don’t have particularly fat fingers, but I do have chunky knuckles. They’re the sort that are better at giving a good punch than looking elegant.

In fact, a psychic once told me: “Of course, you know you will suffer from arthritis when you’re older?”

“Can you tell that from reading my palm?” I asked.

“No,” she said, “I can tell because you’ve got big knuckles.”


I know this, but I have felt myself utterly compelled to bid on eBay for an Edwardian amethyst ring that I am unlikely to be able to force on to my finger. It’s just so beautiful and purple and old.
4. Mopsa is giving us all due warning so there’s no excuse for forgetting it:
My birthday is in November and then it's Christmas, so it is present time (yes, presents, and plenty of fuss please). But I don't get to bookstores that often these days - fairly thin on the ground in rural Devon, and Waterstones in Exeter lacks inspiration (I think it's the layout and the too neatly proffered stock), so browsing for delights is a very rare thing indeed.

Amazon is amazing but you can't pick stuff up and see if page 22 will have you giggling or groaning. So, I am after your book recommendations - what should I be sticking on my wish list?

2 comments:

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.