Wednesday, October 03, 2007

[bacn] the new scourge of the inbox

Update Liz Thursday

Apologies to The Age for lifting their article holus bolus but it does say it all. Also, regulars know I don't go cutting and pasting MSM articles but this time I must do so and not leave any of it out.

Today I received an invitation from Facebook to hug a vampire or something. I've had invitations for drinks, to play scrabble and so on and so on, all of them from people I know and feel close to. It was the only reason I followed it up - these were friends I knew who'd also been sucked into this sort of thing.

They'd say it was just a bit of fun and using the tools Facebook had lovingly provided. I'd say, like Second Life, it was a deliberate time waster. Not by my friends, you understand but by the purveyors of such schemes.

Facebook is just one example of schemes inserted into the net for what purpose I know not. MyBlogLog is clear enough - it signals that a reader has arrived and is useful this way. But what exactly does Facebook offer, beyond the spurious?

I haven't time to be doing this stuff - it's a problem finding the minutes in the day as it is. That's why this article caught my eye:

Just when you thought you were finally starting to get on top of the spam epidemic, a new email scourge is clogging inboxes around the country: bacn. Unlike spam, bacn (pronounced "bacon") is solicited email, but that which you do not want to read right now, or even at all.

Coined at a US blog conference earlier this year, bacn spread across the blogosphere like wildfire and is now part of the geek vernacular. It includes messages from social networking sites like Facebook or MySpace, subscribed newsletters, surveys and flight bargains.

"If you're active in the social networking scene on multiple sites, multiply several LinkedIns by multiple Facebooks plus mailing lists you signed up to a couple of years ago - it can be a real problem," said Paul Ducklin, head of technology at security firm Sophos.

Facebook's incessant notifications of friend requests, wall postings, private messages and, particularly, invitations to install plug-in applications like a graffiti wall are often cited as the most annoying bacn.

As a remedy, the social network recently announced it would soon allow users to opt to receive all Facebook notifications in a single daily digest email.

For other forms of bacn, Philip Routley, product marketing manager at security firm MessageLabs, advises people to filter emails based on the sender's address or keywords.

"My suggestion would be to setup a rule in your Outlook that filters bacn into a separate folder," he said.

"Therefore at the end of the day or at lunch time you can jump into that folder and read any emails that you want to."

For those who don't use Microsoft's Outlook email program, Google, on its official Gmail blog, has published instructions on how to filter bacn into special folders in its web-based email service.

Alternatively, Routley advises web users to create multiple accounts on free web-based email sites like Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo. They could then use a different address for every social network or mailing list they signed up to and all of the bacn generated by them would stay clear of their primary email account.

What really worries me is that if I don't do this stuff - hugging vampires and so on - my friends will see me as a bit of a wet blanket and will start to ignore me, especially deprioritizing coming to read my site. This, I suspect, is part of the psychology of bacn.

What it also does is highlight another - perhaps the greatest necessity of all - prioritizing one's time to best effect and to the benefit of the greatest number.

7 comments:

  1. I am very selective in who I hug and in no way could I consider you a wet blanket.

    I totally agree and I was just getting around to working out how to filter some of this stuff out of my Gmail. Thanks for the tip.

    By By Bacn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is a sign of the coming Apocalypse. We'll be spending judgement day sending each other the joke gifts and acknowledging friend requests. Personally, I don’t use it. I have plenty of other senseless things to be doing with my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to say I do use it but only to keep track of peopke's addreses who I know and what to keep in touch with but have lost- I've actually made contact with a couple of mates who I'd lost contact with through it so it does have its uses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate facebook.

    I resisted as long as possible but friends/ex. colleagues hassled me into it and now I'm inundated with their inane and stupid plug-in requests to answer banal questions and send them virtual drinks. This might get ugly.

    The last straw was an ex. girlfriend who recently got onto the friend-list of a mutual friend she hasn't spoken to in six years just so I could get an eye-full of her in her wedding dress on her profile picture.

    One more stalker and I'm deleting my account.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I ever joined Facebook. In any event it was just the same group of people moving from one place (Pownce, an IM system) to another but with all the added annoying stupidities of Facebook. The other day in the space of ten minutes I got twelve emails from Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm signed up to Facebook, too, but I hardly look at it and wouldn't bother at all were it not that one of my not at home kids has taken to sending me messages (along with fish for my aquarium and aliens for my solar system) through it. Life's too short for lots of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I deactivated my Facebook account.
    I'd rather have eradicated it altogether.
    Facebook is invidious.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.