Saturday, September 01, 2007

[september 1st] new academic year

Well, I just heard a huge noise with megaphones and everything and looked across the road at the school and yes - it's that time of year again. Across Russia and former republics, it's the start of the new academic year - much frenetic activity, the flower shops do a roaring trade as children buy flowers for their teachers, everybody's all hyper and I'm delighted I'm only observing at a distance this time.

The little guys in their suits and looking resplendent and hopeful, the little girls in their white shirts, hair in bows and their black skirts and the same colour scheme right across this vast land.

Managed to avoid the faculty meeting yesterday and have two ladies coming here today, both sisters and the good thing is that I don't know which is coming first and so I'm getting ready for the surprise. I also have to Min today - can you believe government departments working on this day?

It's not a good day to be out - the cafes and cinemas are packed and everyone's having a jolly good time. Little girl yesterday told me she was so looking forward to getting back and working again. I looked at her to see if she was kidding but she was dead serious.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, James. Flowers for the teacher and a pupil looking forward to working? Blimey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has always amazed me, since I came to live in the Northern Hemisphere how everyone seems to come alive at the Labour Day weekend. As if everyone is sleep walking over summer and suddenly perk up on the Tuesday after the holiday.
    Suddenly everyone is back at school, university but also all the extra curricular activities come to life after a hiatus.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.