Monday, August 27, 2007

[hyperlinks] fuel for the big machines

In these days of aggregators, RSS feeds, OPML and who knows what else, where does this leave the humble hyperlink?

It seems very much to me that it is still used by the big machines to assess a blog's "value" or "worth", even though it is only tangentially connected with this. Which raises the next question as to how important hyperlinks are.

I think it was Thunderdragon who ran a post on "Are You a UK Blog?" So I took the test some group had set up and discovered that I wasn't a UK Blog. As you can imagine, this came as somewhat of a shock, as 43% of my readership was UK at that point, followed by 29% from the U.S, 8% from Canada and 6% from Australia.

The reason they offered was that not enough UK bloggers were linking to me. Hmmmm. Now as you know, I run Blogfocus and generally speaking, gratuitously link whenever I can so I hardly saw how they could have been right in that.

So I followed back a number of links I'd included in my own posts over a one week period and realized that while I was thanked on my own site, the fellow blogger often didn't carry that back to his/her own site. And that "carrying back" is where one's assessment as a blog comes from by the machines.

Disclaimer - many, like Welshcakes Limoncello, Colin Campbell, Tom Paine, Tiberius Gracchus, JMB, Lady Macleod, Lord Nazh [whom have I missed?] are kind enough to backlink pretty regularly and a sprinkling of other kind souls from time to time, as distinct from regularly visiting, which then includes good folk like CityUnslicker, Two Wolves, Grendel Grendel, Ian Appleby, Shades and so on but many others simply … don't.

I believe in the principle that one needs to say something fairly significant in the first place to warrant being linked but perhaps if we all became just a tadge more "gratuitous" in our usage of the facility …

Whoa, I hear you say - I've added you to my blogroll - what are you moaning about? Yes, it is a wonderful thing to be in someone else's blogroll and no mistake - it's certainly some sort of confirmation that one is appreciated and no mealy-mouthedness about this whatsoever.

However, for the big machines, sadly, this is not enough. They require hundreds of links in order to be slightly more than a blip on the blog radar. While this might seem unjust, I hardly see how they can do it differently, without prying into people's site stats.

I blame Readers like my Google Reader and bloglinks in part for the situation too.

Second disclaimer - what brought all this on was not my own overall stats which I'm delighted with over this silly season nor the refusal of these people to recognize me as UK [I have a significant U.S., Canadian and Australian readership too] but the position in Technorati of one particular lady I'll not name and her situation incensed me.

Quite frankly, Technorati is anomalous in its decision making.

She is languishing with an "authority" level in two figures whilst another male blogger I checked is up in the hundreds. And yet I see her in many places and the latter gentleman only on the "correct sites" which curry favour.

In short, she's not getting just return for her efforts and I'm sure she'd never ask for it. She'd also say and I agree, that the important thing is just to be read, not commented on or linked. Still, if only half those she visited linked back to her, mentioning something in a throwaway aside, perhaps, her "authority" would shoot through the roof.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

12 comments:

  1. Indeed I totally agree with you James- links are the currency of the internet and getting them is bloody hard. The other problem of course from teh bloggers perspective is that writing an article that is just a link is boring for a reader. But you are absolutely right to call us to link more to each other! Perhaps a new rule for Blogpower or new encouragement to link to one BP blog in a post every week might be an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that its about time google and the like re-thought their ranking strategy. However, one should not be gratuitous with linkage as the google algorithms penalise irrelevant links, so take care to only link to your friends when the content of your post is relevant to the post you are linking to, or you won't really be doing them a favour. Apparently.

    Nevertheless it makes one feel loved ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very careful to link to people I mention in my blog, but I am selective in linking to other things I mention. I find I don't follow the links if there are too many of them. I also am torn as to whether to follow the link while reading the post as I come to them or come back and follow. Too much for the old brain.
    The second part of this post about Technorati is over my head, since I don't really know what you are talking about here.
    One thing I don't understand is how you know someone has made a link to your blog in a post. I used to follow an Australian doctor's blog (now sadly defunct) and when I linked to him as I occasionally did, he always came over and left a comment. Is there some way to tell that I don't know?
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  4. jmb

    If you go to Technorati, assuming that you have claimed your blog, you will be able to see who has linked to you. I think that you can do this with Google, but I am not sure how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi James. I recently researched the technorati authority (number of blogs that have linked to blog calculations after mine dropped from 156 to 120 within about two weeks. I learned that I was not alone in the dramatic drop in such a quick time-frame.

    I discovered, from advice via Technorati Administration, that links that are over 6 months old, are deleted from your authority. I personally don't understand why, or agree with it, but that's how they calculate it.

    So basically, every 6 months, they are meant to refresh.

    Wierd, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to add a link to anyone who has written on an issue that I have, especially if I disagree with them.

    I rarely link directly to another blogger's piece without adding a significant posts worth of comments myself unless it is especially poignant in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I link whenever I can, I hope, but I don't know what the difference between a hyperlink and a backlink is. And I don't know what you're supposed to do with that "links to this post" thing in blogger. Why is "authority" called "authority"in technorati?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiberius - we need to find some solution.

    Wolfie - well maybe not gratuitous but maybe a little more generaous.

    JMB - it's through backlinks and some of our techies could explain all this better.

    Colin - yes you can but when you're into the hundreds, it's difficult to track them all - I'm sure it's one of your problems.

    Miss Smack - that's a good point about only current links. The bstds.

    TD - fair enough.

    Links to this post should automatically come into being the moment someone out there links to your post. It shows up below your post. So you could conceivably have four or five links under different names.

    Authority is an unfortunate word they use and they mean who links to you. That doesn't convey authority in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we are not required to even VISIT the bloggers in BP, why in the world would we make a requirement to link them?

    You'd think that people that are so not caught up in visits and traffic and all that wouldn't care at all about links and blog authority? No?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to technologically challenged corner –

    Sorry James, you’ll have to forgive my lack of understanding of some of the terminology here.

    Re ‘Backlink’ does this refer to reciprocating if someone adds your blog to their blogroll or does this refer to adding links to other posts / blogs within a post on ones own site?

    If the latter – Would some kind soul would like to go off topic on a post over at my place and explain how this is done. I would be most grateful. Have tried lots of the options in the ‘create a post’ function and just can’t make it work. Not blaming the tools here it’s absolutely down to my own level of crapness.

    I have always been conscious of the importance of correct attribution so guidance from a better informed member of the bloggerati would be appreciated.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  11. James, why did you not ever respond to my comment here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Because I thought you said what needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.