Monday, August 27, 2007

[erudite bloggers] three examples


When a blogger titles his posts:

Here they come, a-clucking and a-flapping ...

or

My new favourite word Anthropogenic, in which he writes:

I'm convinced! I'm convinced! Back to the Middle Ages, everyone! Back to when everyone was nice and nobody hit anyone and nobody died, ever, and everyone had enough to eat and was warm and cosy all the time and we used to make our own entertainment and get change from sixpence... I think I am having one of my funny turns, Nurse... and all because because we weren't using oil. Yay!

or Campaign for national Stop Beating Your Wife Day ...

and Slave traders of the world unite ...

then he has to be something special. When a blogger writes:

In times of insanity, it's good to know that there are rational minds to light the beacon of reason for rudderless souls such as I...

and includes titles like All-Change At The Department Of Vengeance, writing:

Dirty Barry Thorpe MP vowed today to exterminate red tape in the revenge process and crack down upon activist nay-sayers. Addressing a baying, drunken mob, the new Minister for Vengeance promised a more streamlined system which would cut the interval between accusation and execution to a maximum of five minutes...

...or Befuddled Egyptologists Struggle With Unfamiliar Hieroglyphics

… then he also has to be something special. When a fearless blogger courts disaster with:

Liverpool is to be European Capital of Culture in 2008. One must charitably suppose that it is culture in the anthropological sense...

to which Dearieme asks:

European Hubcapital of Culture?...

then follows up with a Francis Galton quote:

Whenever I have occasion to classify the persons I meet into three classes, ‘good, medium, bad’, I use a needle mounted as a pricker, wherewith to prick holes, unseen, in a piece of paper, torn rudely into a cross with a long leg […] I used this plan for my beauty data, classifying the girls I passed in streets or elsewhere as attractive, indifferent, or repellent...

he is, in fact, a blogger of the first order. All three of these worthy gentlemen I shall not attempt to emulate, only admire from a distance.

When I compare this to the sentence I keep harping on about ad nauseam, as a prime example of all that is poor in blogging today:

No it's not a monster - it's a f-ck off big grey cloud. But hey ho. The wind and rain make the sea look more picturesque and wild 'n all that cr-p...

... and chuckle at the wry observation of one correspondent last evening, who noted, concerning a currently popular blogging philosopher:

How did [he] recently describe a friend? He would not say in two sentences what he could put into 50...

...I then give silent thanks for the likes of the worthies further up the page and others whose turn of phrase and capacity for wry observation, coupled with a wicked turn of phrase, places them at the very head of the Blogostocracy.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

4 comments:

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.