Thursday, August 30, 2007

[barre] darling of the luminaries

Hmmm, that tree will have to come down, once we can exterminate those fr--in' bees…

Excellent article in the FT by David Buchan [August 26] and not just for this reason:

Raymond Barre, who died on Saturday at the age of 83, was the favourite French politician of the world's financial and business elite.

[…] Above all, he was an internationalist, a member of the shadowy Trilateral Commission, bringing together luminaries from Europe, the US and Japan and, for many years after he ceased being prime minister, the main rapporteur of the Davos World Economic Forum.

Had to admire Buchan's courage - this is not some obscure blog but the FT, for goodness sake. His "luminaries" reference was particularly chuckle producing.

A friend of mine asked me today what I was going to do when they came for me and I said I'd offer to join them if they didn't "disappear" me first.

As for the article, do read it but I take issue with the adjective "shadowy" - there's nothing shadowy about them at all. They publish every damned thing they decide somewhere - as with the hyperspace bipass plans in the Hitchhiker's Guide and the incident it was based on.

1 comment:

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.