Wednesday, June 13, 2007

[withdrawal from four categories] an explanation of sorts

When I was teaching rugby, I had an Under 14 team in a district tournament and we were organized to a fault. We had our little champ protected by our pack the whole time, then we'd instantly feed him ball and he'd run riot. I never told him one thing about where to go and how to do it. He was a true Campese.

We had guys organized to neutralize anyone who tried to take him out and our forward three [this was sevens] pushed the rules to the limit. They were a wonderful pack and adept at taking out the monster forward from the opposition.

None of the teams could handle our boys in the tournament and we did four X 10 minute games 128-8. It was complete overkill.

The boys came home champions and were heroes for weeks but the response to my tactics was cool. Fair enough too. I don't know any other way but to play it hard.

Trouble is, that's not appropriate for a blog competition we're hosting and as I saw certain people drifting away and ceasing to play and what with the UKN&P business, I realized that my own position was questionable. The further I went, the worse it got.

It was as clear as day I'd have to pull out and in doing that, the competition really has regained its balance. Just look at the placegetters' table - Devil's Kitchen and the like alongside Finding Life Hard and Mary Mary. That's good stuff as far as I can see.

I'm vastly happier having done it although there were many who wasted good votes on me - sorry - but this way, I think people's memories of these two gruelling weeks will be far sweeter and a little bit of drama was thrown in near the end, for no extra cost.

I hope so [and don't forget I did win a really important gong].

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, James.

    Whether your decision was right ot not, you made it, and I hope you know that you are much valued and appreciated. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good analogy. I'd like to put on record here that I did email you late last night and ask you to please accept your win in category 3 but you declined. You are a very honourable and generous man, James. Thank you for all your hard work and for your integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, James, I was a little upset that you withdrew like that. What it actually means is that one of Blogpowers finest bloggers- and part of the glue which holds BP together is not getting the recognition he deserves.

    Next year I hope that there is some way this can be avoided, because it was unfair on you, though I understand politically why it was necessary.

    Congratulations on the award you did accept as well as for the ones you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Crushed by Ingsoc here James- and with Welshcakes- it would have been great to recognise your contributions. And more awards for you would have been fantastic- but I'm really glad you won a very good award which in my view sums up your blog's importance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only my opinion (whatever that's worth):

    I think it takes AWAY from the awards if you pull out of categories that people voted for you on.

    If you were going to pull out, it should have been early and a new poll revamped to allow a 'true' vote. There's no telling what the people that voted for you (and only you) would have done without your name in there.

    Also, it lends incredible credence to the 'thought' that something was major wrong with the polls.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.